• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Ansonia Model ID please.....

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
New Port Richey, Florida USA
Country
011 (1024x768).jpg 010 (1024x768).jpg 007 (1024x768).jpg Hello Friends: I love restoring old Ansonia Iron Case clocks. I think that they're just beautiful. I am going to give this one away as a wedding present. I've sandblasted and painted the case, painted the columns gold (they were a brown-ish, marbled, adamantine-like, finish). I'm wondering if anyone can provide the model and date of manufacture. The case is approx. 13 x 6 x 10 (L x W x H). All I have to do is add the Rub N' Buff to the decoration and install the movement. It should look great when it is finished. As always, thanks in advance for your kind help. Rich

Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
Alma, MI
Country
Region
Nice restoration. I always wondered if sand blasting would remove the incise on these. Are you planning on painting the incise?

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
New Port Richey, Florida USA
Country
012 (1024x768).jpg 013 (1024x768).jpg 014 (768x1024).jpg Here it is with the Rub N' Buff in the decoration and the dial painted and installed. Now that I come to think of it, this may not be an Ansonia case. I purchased it with a whole bunch of iron cases. It did not have a movement in it. I've never seen this type of gong in an Ansonia before? I guess I'll probably replace the dial paper as this one is pretty discolored. This is the first case that I sandblasted and painted. I've painted plenty of cars, so I know that I'm doing it right..... Honestly, I don't think that I would do it this way again. I have several other Ansonias that I had powdercoated. The finish is much deeper and glossy. The powdercoat does tend to slightly fill in the engravings though, but they still look good when the gold Rub N' Buff is applied.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Rich,

Check out clock number 1005, the "Jura", on page 289 of Tran's Waterbury book. Catalogued in 1891, bronze columns, had the Star movement, which is a rack and snail affair. Height 9 7/8", length 13".

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-