Ansonia mantle clock: model and age?

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
Lower Mainland, B.C., Canada
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
I picked up this Ansonia-stamped clock a few weeks ago as another "fixer" for my learning collection. I'm wondering if someone can identify the model and approximate time of manufacture?

I'm attaching front, back, and mechanism photos. I noticed a number stamped on the mechanism: "6 1/2". I grabbed a snapshot of that as well in case it is helpful.

Note that the top trim cleanly broke off in shipping despite excellent packing- when I get to this clock a month or two down the road, I'll be asking questions about glue in the case repair forum ;)

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The closest match I've found in Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia Clocks is the Cabinet No. 28, which he shows from the 1914 catalogue. It could also have been made a few years before and/or after that. As far as I can see, it is the top cornice that is the piece you mention as having come off. Was there more than the cornice? Tran's picture also shows another piece above the cornice. I will try to scan and post a picture.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here is the picture from Tran's book. If there is no indication of an additional piece at the top, perhaps yours is just a variation from a different year than shown in Tran.:?|

Kelly

Jul 15, 2009
Lower Mainland, B.C., Canada
www.kgadams.net
Country
Region
Here is the picture from Tran's book. If there is no indication of an additional piece at the top, perhaps yours is just a variation from a different year than shown in Tran.:?|
That is a fantastic picture! Thank you, Steven. 1910 to 1920 is a good range for the age as well. I'm always amazed at what these clocks cost when they were made ($11 in this case), but then you convert that into today's money and thats over $200.

Re: the piece that is falling off on my clock- in the first picture above, the top front and right side cornice are actually just balanced, and thats what I was referring to. They came off in one clean piece right at the join, like the glue gave way after a shock.

My clock is completely missing the peaked "roof" and corner decorations in the catalog picture you attached. I didn't notice any evidence of anything missing on my initial examination. All of the other features look identical.

I'll take a closer look when I start on that clock and see if I can figure out whether the top was lost/removed or if mine is simply a case variation. I know from my initial cursory examination that, if the "roof" was removed, it was done a long time ago- the wood seems well aged and "finished".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Manton
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller