Ansonia Mahogany Wall Regulator "Santa Fe"

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I purchased this Ansonia Mahogany Wall Regulator "Santa Fe" model at auction. I am picking it up later this week. Original 10" paper dial is a little faded, black numerals, sub seconds and blued spade hands; brass 8 day weight driven time only movement signed "Ansonia Clock Co." Graham deadbeat escapement, brass covered side weights and ebonized stick with brass covered bob. In a mahogany wall hanging case with swirling filigree carved crest over a spindled section, long turned corner columns and teardrop acorn finials over a turned crossbar at the bottom. Enhanced original finish, good overall condition, running; dial has some damage & wear to the paper.

69130872_1_x.jpg 69130872_2_x.jpg 69130872_3_x.jpg 69130872_4_x.jpg 69130872_6_x.jpg 69130872_9_x.jpg 69130872_10_x.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very nice clock Russell, it reminds me of a Seth Thomas, the case. Great find.

Reactions: Russell Dickson

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Don what kind of regulator are you looking for?

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Very nice, I like it. I've been hoping for a large regulator to come my way, nothing yet.
Yeah I love them too. I have been waiting 2 months for this auction. This was one of the clocks I hoped to score. I was also wanted to land a E Howard #70, not this time I guess. There is something about walking into a room with a large regulator in it, they have such a commanding presence. This one is roughly 4' long by 18" wide by 9 " deep. The only draw back is where to put them. I am going to have to do some shuffling around.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Very nice clock Russell, it reminds me of a Seth Thomas, the case. Great find.
Yeah you are right it does sort of look like a #17. I remember when was a child visiting a family friends house and they had a beautiful Santa Fe. I remember standing in front of it in awe of its size watching the pendulum, and trying to look up behind the dial and figure out how it worked, so it feels good to have one of my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin W.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
My clock looks good in it's new home. It didnt take too much to get it working. A cable got twisted around one of the pulleys. I will probably get the dial restored. It is in rough shape.

20190330_121040.jpg 20190330_201145.jpg

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
sounds like Russel went shopping at Fontaine's this week. there were some really nice regulators in that auction. does anyone here know the story behind this collection? i think this santa fe was well bought even if it does have issues. that Howard #70 seemed a good price too? i have never actually purchased a clock from an auction of this type, though i have thrown out a bid or two. congratulations. i am sure you will have it in ship shape before you know it.

hard to tell from the auction pics, but my guess is the cabient is mahogany.

Last edited:

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
sounds like Russel went shopping at Fontaine's this week. there were some really nice regulators in that auction. does anyone here know the story behind this collection? i think this santa fe was well bought even if it does have issues. that Howard #70 seemed a good price too? i have never actually purchased a clock from an auction of this type, though i have thrown out a bid or two. congratulations. i am sure you will have it in ship shape before you know it.

hard to tell from the auction pics, but my guess is the cabient is mahogany.
You are correct. I did get it at Fontains. There were 2 #1s and a E Howard #70 that bidded on with no luck. I was very fortunate to get a very good price on this Santa Fe. There was a weight driven sb Terry I missed out on that went really cheap. These auctions are tricky I have bought clocks from many of them. Often times what happens is you get a great price on a clock and the pack and ship places kill ya on the shipping. I was fortunate to not live too far from fontains so I saved a lot of money picking it up. I was told the case is mahogany in bright light looks a little like walnut.

Reactions: Steve Murphy

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
My clock looks good in it's new home. It didnt take too much to get it working. A cable got twisted around one of the pulleys. I will probably get the dial restored. It is in rough shape.

View attachment 526131 View attachment 526132
Are you talking about someone conserving the dial or total replacement? Replacing the dial hurts the value, plus they never look right. Strengthening the roman numerals 6-8 would be as far as I would go. Just my opinion.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Are you talking about someone conserving the dial or total replacement? Replacing the dial hurts the value, plus they never look right. Strengthening the roman numerals 6-8 would be as far as I would go. Just my opinion.
Yes! I agree. Just touch up numbers if anything.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I will bring the dial into this fella i know that does restoration work and see what is possible. You cant see in the photo but there is some large cracks in the original dial material and alot of discoloration too. I think someone discolored it in their attempts to fix the cracking.

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
Nice catch! I bought a nice Santa Fe about a year ago and have enjoyed it a lot. My dial has a small piece missing just inside the 9 and a tiny bit of discoloration, but it says correct and original to me. You'll find other posts about the reproduction Santa Fe's on here and to me these signs of age just verify the clock's authenticity. I hope you enjoy seeing it every time you go up the stairs :)

Reactions: Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Nice catch! I bought a nice Santa Fe about a year ago and have enjoyed it a lot. My dial has a small piece missing just inside the 9 and a tiny bit of discoloration, but it says correct and original to me. You'll find other posts about the reproduction Santa Fe's on here and to me these signs of age just verify the clock's authenticity. I hope you enjoy seeing it every time you go up the stairs :)
Oh I am enjoying it. My wife giggles at me because I like to look at it as I'm brushing my teeth at night' lol

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jr webster
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool