Ansonia Kensico Alarm linkage

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I just received this clock today. Case is in fairly good condition except for the stenciling all rubbed off the glass door. The movement runs despite being quite dirty, so I might just enjoy it as-is while I finish up a couple other projects first. This is the first clock with an alarm I've come across. The alarm assembly itself winds and runs, but there's no linkage between it and the movement proper/alarm-setting-wheel..

Alarm.jpg

In the picture above, I'm using a slender silver screwdriver with a black tip to indicate the stub of what I believe was the original controlling lever, based upon this thread...

RC's Alarm Fix Pic

Is anyone able and willing to post a pic of an entirely intact alarm mechanism? I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to happen. The pic in the previous link obscures the end of the linking rod where it intersects the notched cam behind the alarm setting dial; I'd love to know what that looks like. Are my drawings in the next pic approximately correct as to where everything that's missing should go?

Alarm Sketch.jpg

The double yellow lines represent a solid arm... I just have zero-to-nil graphic skills. Also a little confused about how the linkage is supposed to work, as that arm with a loop extending from the alarm mechanism jumps up and down as the alarm hammer lever oscillates.. won't that cause the entire linkage to go crazy including the upper lever on the alarm setting dial? Confused...

Here's the back of the setting dial...

dial.jpg

... and the entire clock...

7d992dbf-ff14-4101-9ea0-aa8a4be47923.jpg 8cc79db6-d9f6-418d-8fe8-a51135f43e81.jpg

One last, very minor questions. The bell is attached via wood screw which extends through the back and protrudes a good 1/4" further. Gross. All four screws that secure the movement to the back also protrude, but only maybe slightly less than 1/8". Is that typical? Looks awful... and would also chew up any wall it was ever placed against.

As always, thanks for any advice re/ ... well.... anything!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The thin trip wire will have a long "U" at the bottom, so when the wire drops the alarm lever has plenty of room to do its thing. The top of said wire will have a loose fitting round eye.

On a clock like yours, I usually make little tapered pegs and tap them lightly into the holes with glue. The next day, saw them off flush, using a thin piece of metal to protect the wood. A Dremel with a sanding discs (or drum) can help finish the job.

On the bell it might be better to just go with a through bolt. I usually use a #6 or #8 machine screw and washer, put on from the back side. If you use a tapered head machine screw and just the right size washer, this will not stick out more than about 1mm. Use a square nut on the bell side, if you can find one. :)

Hopefully someone will post a photo of your broken/missing part.

Willie X

Reactions: MuseChaser

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The length of the wire going to the alarm is critical. It has to turn the alarm on when the upper lever enters the notch, and turn it off when it's riding on the rim.
To set the alarm, you turn the alarm set ring so that the preferred alarm time lines up with the hour hand. Don't wind the alarm too far..... It will wake the dead, and there's no easy way to turn it off. It just has to deplete the power in the spring.
Your missing lever should be pretty easy to make, or you can get it here.

Reactions: MuseChaser

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Thanks so much, Willie, TMC and SB! Just what I was hoping for....hearty hand clasps all around!

Last edited:
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit