Ansonia Iron Case Refinish

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Savageblunder, Nov 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Savageblunder

Savageblunder Registered User

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    2019-11-05_19-19-28_364.jpg

Hello,

Ansonia iron case clock. Was repainted poorly at some point. Looking for best way to refinish at home. Current plan is paint stripper, sand & 0000 steel wool, prime, 3 coats of satin black spray paint for case. Possible fine sand & polish after paint cures. Has anyone refinished one at home? Case currently disassembled & sitting in stripper. Thanks.

2019-11-10_14-08-38_000.jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you take a look here, you can probably find someone who has dealt with this.
    Clock Case Restoration and Repair
    But, based on your picture, you might want to sand it lightly and repaint, and buff.

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the original finish is destroyed and the Iron is starting to corrode, by all means remove the rust and protect it with a new finish, otherwise clean the original finish, polish and wax it. It's a very hard enamel paint. Much tougher than anything you'll likely apply at home. Treat it like an old car finish.

Look in the Forum that Dave suggested. There are a lot of good threads in the Archives which you'll find to be very informative.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Dave and Bruce

The OP says it is already sitting in the stripper, so I think your suggestions are too late.

JTD

5. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    The original finish was painted over (poorly) by someone who had the clock before I did. I considered trying to remove just the “new” finish to try to keep the original; but figured since it was painted the same exact color - the original finish likely wasn’t great. I couldn’t see someone painting something black that is already black with a decent finish.

Anyway, it’s stripped down to bare metal. No rust or damage. I’m going to prime & paint it with satin black; then maybe wet sand & polish.

the case on this thing likely could withstand a bomb hit.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Bruce is right when he says the original finish was extremely hard - it's almost like stove enamel. You won't get that original finish with just a couple of coats of satin black, and the original finish was more 'gloss' than 'satin'.

You may have to experiment a little to get the finish you want but it should look good when you're finished.

JTD

7. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The metal ornamentation looked as though it had been refinished so I'm not surprised that the black finish had been touched up as well.
    I've seen these cases refinished with a glossy black powder coating. I think that resembles the original finish (which I believe was baked enamel) fairly well if it isn't too thick. These clock cases will often have "incised" scrolling which is filled with gold paint for nice accents. If the black paint fills the grooves (when present), you'll have a lot of trouble getting the gold accents properly placed and sharply defined. One might decide to strip and start over or just forego the gold accents.

Here's an example, the Ansonia Rosalind which appears elsewhere on the Message Board:

img_2460-copy-jpg.jpg

This is just FYI. Judging from the Catalog illustration you've provided it doesn't look like your Ansonia "Bangor" had any of the incising.

Good luck with your restoration project.

Bruce

8. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    No incising on this one. Stripped the case down to bare metal, which was no easy feat. 1 coat of primer & 2 of satin black. I've used powder coating services before, mainly for aluminum car wheels. I prefer to not do that on projects like this, because I feel like you increase your skills more if you do the whole project yourself start to finish. Powder coating is very durable, but doesnt necessarily provide a low texture finish and is not as easy to correct as paint IME with automotive applications

9. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    C6DF47F1-80BB-4BBA-BE57-373473BA441D.jpeg

7EB0A7D1-9BCA-4513-B5C4-1BA6F5982FC6.jpeg

AB94BE7E-DF9D-492A-BAA7-E8A8149F4189.jpeg

Case is ready. New dial. New glass. Polished brass. Left case figurines as I found them & antiqued them a bit with black chalk paint. Very happy how it came out.

Ended up using 1 coat of Rustoleum primer & 2 coats of their satin black. Finish was texturally flat - so didn’t sand paint. Worse part was removing all of original finish. Used a variety of methods.

Dave T and gleber like this.
  10. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    Case & clock are done

Dave T likes this.
  11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good job!

Uhralt

12. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. There is a lot of brass on these old clocks. I’m new to clocks. My preference when working on antiques is to mirror polish pieces that are visible & solid brass or copper (usually).

I guess to some this “ruins” the patina. I’m wondering if this is generally considered passé or a bad move in the clock world; or just preference? I picked up a wood mantle clock & was considering leaving the bezel unpolished.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do what you like on your own clocks. Some collectors are very fussy about originality, so always ask before doing much on customer's cases.
    Your clock looks great. You should be proud of what you accomplished!

Dave T likes this.
  14. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great work!

My go to answer is whether it complements the whole clock, and how it will look when finished. I refinished the Bailey & Company Black Marble case and decided I had to do the bezel. It just didn't look right with the case shiny and the dull bezel. I wish I took an in-between photo - Where is Photoshop Bruce when you need him? I have another clock where I left the bezel alone because it had some discoloration. I figured polishing it would only accentuate the problem.

Tom

pre_purchase.jpg primary.jpg

15. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never heard of black chalk paint before. I agree that your case ornamentation looks much better than you found them.
    Nice job and thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out the chalk paints.

16. Savageblunder

Nov 10, 2019
    Male
    Gilbertsville PA
    Country Flag:
    They have black chalk paint. I cleaned the gold stuff up on the ornaments and left the gold how I got it (repainted). It was way too bright.

Something I commonly do with stuff like this I want to look a bit aged is get black or brown chalk paint & mix it 50/50 with water. Paint it, then wipe it down. It settles in the details and less on flat surfaces giving an aged look.

gleber likes this.
  17. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm familiar with the technique. You can use it with a variety of paints and waxes. I just hadn't heard of chalk paint before.
    Some folks like bright metallic colors on their ornaments, using gold, or imitation gold leaf finishes. Depends on the model and one's preferences.
    Again, nice job.