• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Ansonia ID Please

Adam K

Oct 6, 2010
Country
Region
I am assuming 1881 based on back plate weights over 30lbs. All cast Iron . Dial needs attention. IS paper over top I am assuming possible brass under,

Never had a plate so decorative on an ansonia before not that I have a lot.

Cheers

A

IMG_4479.JPG IMG_4480.JPG IMG_4481.JPG IMG_4482.JPG IMG_4484.JPG IMG_4485.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Underneath all that gold "radiator" paint is a clock called the Messina. Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia clocks shows it from the 1886 catalogue. It might have been offered a few years either side. In any event, all the June 14, 1881, patent date indicates is that the clock could be no earlier than that date. If interested, the following link will take you to the patent document. It is for a pendulum regulator and was granted to H.J. Davies and P.J. Nutting.

Patent Images (uspto.gov)

I can't say about the dial. FWIW, the 1886 catalogue illustration shows completely different dial. But, if someone was interested enough to change the original black enamel color of the clock to gold, it would not surprise me that the dial also has been monkeyed with.

Reactions: Adam K

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
That looks to me like a rubber dial. For a while Ansonia owned a rubber company in Queens, NY. They had a few case models made of this material, but rubber dials were more common. The inset circles arond the numbers are gilt; the rest of the dial is black or dark brown. If the sunk portion of the dial behind the escapement is rubber, then the rest will be too.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
That looks to me like a rubber dial. For a while Ansonia owned a rubber company in Queens, NY. They had a few case models made of this material, but rubber dials were more common. The inset circles arond the numbers are gilt; the rest of the dial is black or dark brown. If the sunk portion of the dial behind the escapement is rubber, then the rest will be too.
In fact, Ansonia Clock Co’s superintendent, the same H.J Davies mentioned above, was also President of the Ansonia Rubber Co. Davies held a number of patents, the last of which was for a rubber dial.

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
In fact, Ansonia Clock Co’s superintendent, the same H.J Davies mentioned above, was also President of the Ansonia Rubber Co. Davies held a number of patents, the last of which was for a rubber dial.
Wow! Really! And does the material gutta percha fit into this discussion? I thought the "rubber" dials were actually gutta percha, from something I read somewhere.

Reactions: Adam K

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yes, hard rubber, as Jeremy correctly pointed out. Below is a link to the patent document, which frequently mentions hard rubber.

US291989

Reactions: Jeremy Woodoff
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.