Canadian Ansonia Gingerbread Clock info?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Darkstrike, Aug 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Registered User

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Darkstrike, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Hello everybody!

I am new here, so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions, etc you have to deal with from me, haha!

About a month or two ago, I was given a beautiful old Gingerbread clock (sans key) by a lady at a yard sale...she was closing up her yard sale and was moving soon so just wanted to get rid of things. I was elated! It's in very good shape and I know it's an Ansonia clock....but I've scoured the internet and cannot find what model of clock it is?

I know the brand is Ansonia, and I am guessing it's an early 1900s-1920s clock from what I can find, but there are no markings or labels left on the clock casing anywhere and the only information left is on the face and engraved on the movement inside.

She had told me that the clock didn't work...now, I'm new to this, but I love to tinker, brought it home and researched a bit. I removed the face and hands to have a look inside to see if everything looked complete and undamaged (which it does so far...?) and then set it going for half a day (it seems to have already still been wound somewhat) just to see if it seemed to work OK and keep time. I've not oiled it as I don't have any and didn't think it running for one day would really hurt it in the long run. She had said it had been in an attic for a long time, but there seemingly no corrosion on it anywhere and the wood is in nice shape, as is the glass. So far in my test, it's seemed to work fine, keep time fairly accurately (maybe a just the slightest bit fast?) and even the chime has kicked in correctly on the half hour and hour! There don't LOOK to be any damaged cogs or missing pins on lantern gears...?

The face simply says:
    lqgvw8ho64e31.jpg

The movement has no markings on the front (I've not taken it out of the casing) other than a small '9 1/' engraved into the bottom-right...I've been reading up and I think this is supposed to represent the 'drop' of the clock? If that's the case, it's supposed to read '9 1/2' or '9 1/4' or some such...? Can anybody let me know what it's supposed to say? It doesn't look like the engraving was properly completed at the factory...? :)
    DSC_0010.JPG

Here's the movement....I've not cleaned it, but everything looks surprisingly clean and corrosion-free! The bushings on the front look to be in decent shape as well, though I've not removed the movement to look at the back!
    DSC_0012.JPG

And here's the clock! :)
    ol7x0lgo64e31.jpg

Long story short...
    1. I'm curious if anybody could tell me what model Ansonia it might be or any additional information on it? :)

2. Anybody know what size winding key this clock takes...? I researched on how to measure, and it seems to be a #6 (3.75mm) or #7 (4mm)...?

3. As I am new to this, any suggestions as to what oil to use? I'd read an article by somebody from the NAWCC saying synthetic motor oil actually works well...?

Thanks for any help or info you can provide! :D

2. Darkstrike

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    UPDATE!

Some research confirms it's an Ansonia Andes from around 1906.

Posting my findings in case it helps somebody else down the road!

3. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It should take a number six.

4. Darkstrike

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! I'm a bit confused though....I've seen some websites list a #6 key as being 3.6mm, and another site listing it as 3.75mm....which is correct and which should I be going for?

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Buy both, and maybe a few others. That's a lot cheaper than paying two shipping charges and two below minimum order charhes. Willie X

Darkstrike likes this.
  6. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A size 6 is usually a pretty safe bet for these types of clocks. Sometimes the squared ends/edges of the winding arbors will get rounded or otherwise deformed which can make a new key a little too tight to safely use. In such cases you can "dress" the winding arbor. You can also take a small file and open up the winding key a little until it slides fully over the arbor. If the #6 was almost the right size, the size #7 should work okay for you. If the 6 was clearly too small, you might even have to go up to a size 8.
    Good luck with it.

7. Darkstrike

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The #6 I had ordered alone cost me $20 to here where I live in Canada! :(

Apparently the #6 wasn't the right one...the VERY VERY tip of it seems to go on (barely), but it won't slide on any more than that. I ordered a #7, so hopefully that does the trick. I could take a file to it, but I am scared of ruining the key....though I guess it wouldn't matter at this point!

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    $20 is pretty expensive for a simple clock key. Did you try ebay?

Uhralt

9. Darkstrike

Aug 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    That's where I got it from :(
    ANSONIA BRASS TM KEY SIZE 6 NEW CLOCK PARTS | eBay

I tried the key again last night and carefully slide it on and off....it seems to actually go on now, though not the whole way. Enough that I can wind it though!

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using a square needle file you can widen it up a bit for a perfect fit. There could also be a bit of residue from the manufacturing of the key inside the square that prevents the key to go all the way on. The file can take care of it too.

Uhralt

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See this post. All or part of them are real good investments.