Ansonia Figure Clock case help

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Sammyt97, Apr 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sammyt97

Sammyt97 Registered User

Aug 18, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Hi Everyone,

I just acquired this clock today. I have always wanted a figure clock and Ansonia is my favorite maker so I decided to purchase this one at a fair price (at least I think I did). However, I was looking at the case and it would seem someone tried to polish the case as evidenced by the cleaner caked in the crevices of the clock. It also looks as if they cleaned it down to the copper and took off all the original patina. Is there anything I can do to restore this clock to some of it's original beauty? Can I at least clean up the caked on cleaner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
    IMG_0516.jpeg IMG_0517.jpeg IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 gleber, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Hi Chris,

I'm not sure how far you want to take it or how much you want to keep it original, but here is an example of a clock I stripped and restored using Rub-n-Buff (gold and silver only) and Metallic Lustre (many colors), which are both pastes. Both are available at arts and craft stores - I think the Rub-n-buff is a little better quality, but if you want a bronze, you'll need to go with Metallic Lustre. My clock had been spray painted (first photo) and broken and poorly repaired in several places, so I figured it needed to go back to bare metal. I stripped it using lacquer thinner and then applied the finish starting with a Q-tip but found the best applicator was a toothbrush. The surface needs to be clean - a detergent cleaning followed by an alcohol wipe down. I thought it would be kind of cake-y since it is a paste, but I think the tooth brush helped do a good job of allowing fine detail to show through - see last photo. It can be rubbed or scratched off very easily at first, so handle gently, but does seem to harden up.

Good luck with yours. It's very nice otherwise. I addition to this Nicholas Muller / Seth Thomas, I have the Ansonia Composer and Vassar, and an unsigned French hunter with his dog. Do you know the name of yours? See https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/statue-clock-or-figurine-clock-either-way-i-found-another-and-another.157986/ for photos of all of mine. I really love these figural clocks and cuckoos for their art.

Tom

paint_drip.jpg 20171025_122802.jpg primary.jpg detail.jpg

3. Sammyt97

Sammyt97 Registered User

Aug 18, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Thank you Tom. Your clock looks fabulous! I did find out what clock it was as I have a Tran Du Ly Ansonia book. It’s “The Artist”. I do feel pretty fortunate to have gotten it. There are two very small broken parts on the left side front and back legs but otherwise it appears to be in relatively intact condition. It even had the key and the pendulum which made me happy. Hopefully I can get it looking a little bit better. Thanks for your information. It helps.

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Three of the chair legs on my Composer we broken when I got it. I drilled small holes into each leg, inserted a small stiff wire and used JB Weld epoxy to fix them, then I painted to match with acrylic paint. Then a coat of clear gloss to match the finish. It's hard to tell they were broken.

Tom

5. ironhat

ironhat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 11, 2013
    MS
    Country Flag:
    Hi Chris, nice clock! I restored a New Haven “ The Flutist” statue clock a few years back using acrylic paint. My clock to also required some parts being replaced/reattached. My clock also had a bad case of specter acne that had to be removed from the figure and clock body.

There are many good articles in the archives on this subject. I found an article on the net where the owner posted several detailed pics of his handiwork in painting/restoring his clock. I used those pics to provide me with a visual example of how my clock “may” have looked from the factory. I was pleased with the result, for a first timer. Good luck on your project.