Ansonia Diana Swinging Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by mldenison, Oct 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've recently got an Ansonia Diana clock and am in the process of restoring it.

Unfortunately, her bow is missing. I've contacted a guy who can cast stuff like this. I have a bow from my replica Diana clock that he's going to use. It's probably close to the original but I've never seen an original. A lot of searching for just an original bow turned up nothing.

If anyone has an Ansonia clock, I'd appreciate a picture of an original bow.

Also, the replica bow is secured to the statue by a machine screw through the arm. There's no screw hole on my Ansonia statue. It may have been filled in. I'll need to know how the original was fastened to the statue.

Once I get everything back together I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for any help.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a completed Ebay sale that shows her without the bow. I wonder if there were more than one style?

3. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as I can tell, there's the Huntress and the Diana. The Huntress shows her carrying game. The Diana shows her with a quiver of arrows and a bow. The seller, I believe, should have left out 'Diana' as that's the Huntress one. The movement on the Huntress is on her left arm. The movement on the Diana is on her right arm. There sure aren't many good pictures on the web that I've found. After I get the kinks out of the swinging clock, I'll post a picture. It's close - the Ansonia movement has been nicely rebushed over the years. Unfortunately, the previous owner(s) did some tweaking. I eventually found that the post for the movement was upside down, causing the swing movement to be all over the place. So they then decided to bend the hidden pendulum and got it out of beat, It's running well now, but I'm going to polish the ball in the next few days.

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the links! I'll be able to fit Diana up after I get her bow cast.

6. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is page 23 from the 1886/7 Ansonia catalog.

PA126517.JPG

Two different statues. Note the difference in heights too.

Eric

7. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good picture. Except for the round ball clock on mine, the statue is identical. I wasn't 100% sure my statue was authentic.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the examples above, the bow is all over the place. It apparently just lays in her hand and is not fastened.

Bruce Alexander likes this.
  9. mldenison

NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed that, too. Explains why so many bows are missing.

Bruce Alexander likes this.