Ansonia Crystal Regulator movement disassemble

Schnucki

Apr 20, 2020
Sebastopol, California
Country
I managed to take it apart without removing these two parts/wheels. I am wondering about their nomenclature and what tools [gear puller?] I would need or if I should bother trying to take it apart further. Is there literature on this type of movement?

gear - 1.jpg

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hello Richard,

Jump right on in, the water's fine! :)

So you're tackling an Ansonia Round 8-day Time and Strike with a Rack and Snail Strike Counting mechanism.

The two parts you're looking to remove are the Gathering Pallet (3 pins) and a pinion which drives the Snail.

Be careful removing these, especially the Gathering Pallet. You might break or severely bend/weaken their pivots.

If you have two spare paint can openers, grind/thin the ends so that you can get them under these parts. Use both, placed 180 degrees apart to pry the parts straight up and off of their pivots. Alternatively, if you have two thin standard screwdrivers, you can try using them in a similar manner. They won't be as easy to use in this manner, but with care, they should work.

It would be preferable to remove these parts for a thorough servicing of the movement, but if you can't do so safely, you might be better off leaving them in place. That is a serious compromise, especially in the area of the Gathering Pallet. Not only will it's removal help you properly clean and service wear in the movement, but it will be much easier to get proper strike timing re-established when you put the movement back together if you can position the gathering pallet independently from the gear before you fully install it.

As far as a reference book is concerned, Here's one that you might find helpful, it's titled "Striking Clock Repair" by Steven Conover.
ISBN-13: 978-0962476648

He doesn't specifically discuss the exact movement but he does go over one which is very similar to it. I'm sure there are other references available, but this one I own and found it helpful.

The movement you're working on can be a little tricky. Be very careful with the Escapement Anchor. It can be very easily altered and an error measured in a couple thousandths of an inch can make the difference between a movement which runs and one that just sits there looking back at you. The Anchor should be gently hand cleaned and kept away from any heat.

Good luck and let us know if/when you have questions.

Bruce

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I really like this puller, and use it very often. I thinned the lower part so it slips under things easier ... but you don't want it so thin that it breaks :)

Schnucki

Apr 20, 2020
Sebastopol, California
Country
Hello Richard,

Jump right on in, the water's fine! :)

So you're tackling an Ansonia Round 8-day Time and Strike with a Rack and Snail Strike Counting mechanism.

The two parts you're looking to remove are the Gathering Pallet (3 pins) and a pinion which drives the Snail.

Be careful removing these, especially the Gathering Pallet. You might break or severely bend/weaken their pivots.

If you have two spare paint can openers, grind/thin the ends so that you can get them under these parts. Use both, placed 180 degrees apart to pry the parts straight up and off of their pivots. Alternatively, if you have two thin standard screwdrivers, you can try using them in a similar manner. They won't be as easy to use in this manner, but with care, they should work.

It would be preferable to remove these parts for a thorough servicing of the movement, but if you can't do so safely, you might be better off leaving them in place. That is a serious compromise, especially in the area of the Gathering Pallet. Not only will it's removal help you properly clean and service wear in the movement, but it will be much easier to get proper strike timing re-established when you put the movement back together if you can position the gathering pallet independently from the gear before you fully install it.

As far as a reference book is concerned, Here's one that you might find helpful, it's titled "Striking Clock Repair" by Steven Conover.
ISBN-13: 978-0962476648

He doesn't specifically discuss the exact movement but he does go over one which is very similar to it. I'm sure there are other references available, but this one I own and found it helpful.

The movement you're working on can be a little tricky. Be very careful with the Escapement Anchor. It can be very easily altered and an error measured in a couple thousandths of an inch can make the difference between a movement which runs and one that just sits there looking back at you. The Anchor should be gently hand cleaned and kept away from any heat.

Good luck and let us know if/when you have questions.

Bruce
Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre