Ansonia Crystal Regulator ID

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by claussclocks, Jun 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings

I picked up this Ansonia crystal regulator today but have not been able to identify it. I have not seen this exact model in Trans book, unless I missed it, nor have I seen it online yet.
    Does anyone recognize the model and approximate year of manufacture.
    It is in very good condition although the brass work needs some attention and the movement needs to be cleaned. Something I will remedy shortly :D

DPC

Back.jpg Front.jpg

2. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it is the "VISCOUNT" model but it is missing some decoration on the top and the correct larger finial. t looks like the top of the urn is used as the finial.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 1905 catalogue is at this site. You might find yours in it. You will need Flash to open it.

Ron

4. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On close examination you could be right. The top ornament could be just the top half of the urn. Mine has a smooth sloped to but I have found some that way as well as the ornate bronze. The urn could have been broken, lost, or someone may not have liked it and just took it off and kept the top piece. I think I like it better without the urn myself. Whatever happened it has been some time ago as everything about this clock seems to be of consistent age and appearance.

The only other thing that gives me pause on the Viscount is the jewel ringed dial. I have not found a Viscount with the jewel ring.
    I do believe you are right about the top ornament for sure though.

After a hundred years who know, the urn might have made the clock too tall for the shelf someone wanted it on so they took it off. :rolleyes:

DPC

5. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the link. Still haven't found an exact match but Ronnie is probably right about the urn being removed whichever model this is

DPC

6. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm pretty sure the jeweled dial was an extra cost option available on many crystal regulators. The Marchionessis also a close match.

7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is what the top of the Viscount looks like.

Capture.JPG

8. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally located a "Viscount" with the jeweled sash. The faux mercury pendulum instead of the jeweled one was another variation. Not recognizing the urn had been lost or removed threw me off.

Thanks for your help.

DPC