Ansonia Crystal Regulator #3

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello all,

My Ansonia Crystal Regulator #3 wound down. I wound both the time and strike. I believe it is rack and snail.

I attempted to reset the time and inadvertently bent the minute hand, as the minute hand is difficult to move. It has been this way since I received it back from the repair shop, where I sent it for a cleaning and oiling. It was cleaned about 6 months ago.

After bending (and unbending) the minute hand, I loosened the friction fit to set the time. I did not set the friction fit so tight. After this, the clock did not strike. (It is fully wound). I tightened the friction fit and it still did not strike. I also did not hear the warning click under either scenario. The clock is running fine other than the above.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
By "the friction fit" I assume you mean the hand nut. That really shouldn't affect the time or the strike. Double check that both sides are wound. Then see if you see any movement at all when it's setting up for the strike.
Let us know what you see.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
By "the friction fit" I assume you mean the hand nut. That really shouldn't affect the time or the strike. Double check that both sides are wound. Then see if you see any movement at all when it's setting up for the strike.
Let us know what you see.
Shutt,

By friction fit, I mean the hand nut and both sides are wound.

I will check at the top of the hour for movement.

Regards.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Well, it is striking now!

However, it is striking at 3 minutes after the hour, rather than on the hour.

How should I correct this?

Regards.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might be able to turn the hand over. If that doesn't work it gets more complicated. Is the 1/2 hour off by the same amount? Do you know if it's a passing strike on the half or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre