Ansonia clock .. Need help to identify

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by John P, Apr 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got this at the regional in Ohio last week. It stands 15 in. high and 6 in. wide, cast iron and well cared for.
    The seller stated he could not find it in his collection of Ansonia books and neither could I.
    I have Trans big Ansonia book and 2 supplements.

I was hoping someone here could identify the model or any information.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

thanks ahead
    john

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It looks like it might be the "clock" portion of a figural clock. For example, look at Tran's Ansonia (2d ed., 1998), page 149, fig. 467 (Fisher and Hunter), just for comparison.

3. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven that does look the same clock with a different head piece. thanks.

john

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #4 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    I am far from the expert on this type of clock and I don't know if Ansonia made them like this, but there are a few things that at a glance just don't seem right to me.

I will say your pix are dark and it's hard to be sure of certain details.

Ansonia offered the figural clocks, a part of which I believe this is, in different finishes. The finish on yours looks matt black. If so, that's not a choice that I am aware was offered by Ansonia on the figural clocks?

The decorations look like they are radiator painted gold.

In one of your shots, there appear to be a bunch of small empty holes at the base...like screws or nails were once there.

The bottom of the base is appears to be just a block of wood without feet.

Finally, look around eBay. I'm not permitted to link to it, but some person from FLA currently has a dubious clock just like yours but in a matt burgundy finish on a better wood plinth...and it's already at $300!

There are lots of damaged white metal figural clocks by Ansonia and others around. It was a matter of time before someone started, to use the word now stylish in the antiques/collectibles trade, to "repurpose" bits and pieces.

Caveat emptor.

RM

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The clock I mentioned, the Fisher and Hunter, came in Japanese Bronze and Silver (1894 catalogue). This may, I suppose, have originally been the former. So far as the decorations are concerned, yes, they do look painted - even painted while still on the case? Note the rather spotty painting of some areas around the side figures. Curious what happens over the life span of some clocks. Still, if John is satisfied, I guess that is what counts.

6. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You guys are probably right about that wood base. I don't think it is original to the clock.
    The gong bracket has been extended, however, the wood looks old to me and has that old clock smell to it.
    The clock is running too fast and I cannot lower the pendulum or it will scrub the bottom.
    Not sure what I can do with it right now.
    I do thank you for your input.