Ansonia Capitol, minute hand spins freely?

1940century

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
Hello to all,

I have an Ansonia Capitol wall clock that the minute hand spins freely, Pretty much all of a sudden after running for months?

The minute hand just falls to 6:00. I checked that the minute hand hole or center might be worn out but it is fairly tight.
Also when I turn the minute hand the hour hand coincides, that is the gears for the hour follow as they should.

I checked for posts on the forum and could find similar posts but not sure if they are relevant.

Thanks, Mike

tempImageMA47mf.png tempImageiDUqJK.png

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you can just see a tension washer between the bottom of the minute cannon and the front plate in your second photo. if you've been cinching down trying to tighten the hands you might have inadvertently widened the tension washer hole so it's pushed down too far on the arbor and just spinning instead of applying a bit of pressure to the underside of the cannon. you may need to remove the motion works and make sure everything is right. the goal of the tension washer is to provide just enough tension to keep the minute hand turning with the arbor as opposed to spinning... while still letting you move the hand easily to adjust the time.

1940century

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
you can just see a tension washer between the bottom of the minute cannon and the front plate in your second photo. if you've been cinching down trying to tighten the hands you might have inadvertently widened the tension washer hole so it's pushed down too far on the arbor and just spinning instead of applying a bit of pressure to the underside of the cannon. you may need to remove the motion works and make sure everything is right. the goal of the tension washer is to provide just enough tension to keep the minute hand turning with the arbor as opposed to spinning... while still letting you move the hand easily to adjust the time.

Thanks for responding, I'm not sure I see or recognize the washer your referring to?
It is this bent brass washer under the cannons and the front plate?
Thanks for your response,

I’m not sure if I see or recognize the washer you are referring to?
Is it the bent brass washer under the cannons in front of the front plate.
Mike

8E2B74D1-5755-437F-9F97-7C25399EC2E0.jpeg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yes... those typically rest on a small shoulder on the arbor, and both sides should look like the bottom half... if you can visualize it rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise, like atlas holding the world above his head with two arms.

if those arms are the same, they provide a bit of tension when you tighten the minute hand nut (or press in a tapered pin) SLIGHTLY... not tightened all the way.

you want to make sure the hole in the center of the tension washer (also called banana washers) has not worn to big such that the washer is sliding down over the shoulder.... looks like you're ok and the arm on one side is just smushed a bit and not helping provide tension. if you break or trash it, you can get replacements from timesavers (don't panic!) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff