Ansonia Bronze figural Clock

leghorn

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2003
Philadelphia
Country
Region
I am restoring a figural clock and have everything dismantled, except for the beveled glass in the bezel. I am not sure how to proceed with getting the glass out, without any damage to the glass. Can anyone tell me the procedure used. It is the original glass, A-1 condition.

From what I can see, it looks like a brass ring is holding the glass in, I don't see any threads for the ring to ride up on, on it's way to securing the glass. Any help would be appreciated.

leghorn

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
If you can possibly work around the glass, you are better off not removing it. It will be a PITA to get it back in.

aka

Jul 3, 2007
Yes, that is correct, dont try to remove the glass.
But, if you do, you can push it out from the inside of bezel door. Make sure you mark the glass & bezel at some point, you must insert the glass back at the very same position where it is taken out.
thanks

leghorn

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2003
Philadelphia
Country
Region
Thank you for the replies. I am taking your advice,and working around it. I was just wondering, is the ring that seems to hold it in place a friction fit?
The bezel, I think is made of molded brass and not potmetal.

leghorn

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Leghorn,

Is it a wire ring? Or a decorative ring visible through the glass from the front? Either way, I think it's possible they were either soldered in place or friction fit. If soldered, you should be able to see the solder. If not, I don't see why you couldn't remove it. What you should leave alone is glass that is held tight in a recess at the front of the bezel. This type of crystal is fitted by heating the bezel to expand it, then setting in the glass and letting the bezel cool. Obviously, the fit has to be perfect for this to work.

leghorn

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2003
Philadelphia
Country
Region
Jeremy

I took a close look at the ring behind the glass and it looks almost, like it is part of the casting ( the fit is that close). It is a flat ring, not a wire ring. And no, there is no solder showing.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a similar clock and had knowledge of the mechanism used to hold those beveled glasses in place.

leghorn

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Leghorn, I had a look at the bezel on my Ansonia "Nile", and I suspect the outer bezel is heated to expand it, then the glass and inner ring installed. Removing it may take enough heat to crack the glass. Better to work with it installed. The only way I can see to remove it is heat and pressure on the glass.
If you contact one of the Florida glass companies that advertise in the mart, they could likely tell you how they do it.

leghorn

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2003
Philadelphia
Country
Region
Harold, thanks for taking the time to look at your clock. I don't think I am going to go any further in trying to remove the glass. I have worked around the issue, in cleaning-up the bezel, and I think it the way it came out looks pretty good. It had been coated with a copper paint, along with the figure and clock case.

leghorn

aka

Jul 3, 2007
Harold is correct, the ring is not friction fit for the glass, rather the brass bezel is heated and the glass is inserted from the front.

It once happened that I bought a Ansonia clock from Ebay, and the glass was flat from the outside and beveled from the inside. As an experiment I pushed the glass outwards from the inside of bezel , and it came out, and then I reversed the glass sides and pressed it into the bezel from the front side. (I would not recomend it until the glass is really loose into the cast brass bezel, because when you put it back, it would not be as tight as it used to be, and may fall down when you open the bezel for winding the clock,( unless you epoxy that glass))

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller