American Ansonia Brass Mantle Information Help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JRRMartin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JRRMartin

JRRMartin New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Hello all,

I recently inherited an Ansonia brass mantle clock and am having a lot of trouble identifying it. I get a lot of questions about it at my home and want to know more about when it was made, model name, etc.

Thank you for your help & interest!

JR

IMG_20190910_070905.jpg IMG_20190910_070954.jpg

2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board JRRMartin.

It would be helpful to see more of the top of your Crystal Regulator but from I can see, you may have an Ansonia model called the "Consul" from circa 1905. If so, your clock should measure 13 inches high and 7 3/4 inches wide.
    If you post a photo of the top, we can either confirm or rule out the Consul.

Again, welcome.

Bruce

3. JRRMartin

JRRMartin New Member

Sep 10, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Bruce,

Thank you so much for your reply. Here is a picture of the top.

JRR

IMG_20190910_135208.jpg

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JRR,

Thanks for the additional photo.

I think that confirms that you have the Ansonia Crystal Regulator model "Consul" as previously described. It has an Open Escapement, 8-day time and strike movement.

It came in both highly polished brass and gold plated finishes so be very, very careful about polishing it. If it is gold plated, the plating is very thin and probably has a relatively thick copper plating underneath. Polishing through the thin gold into copper will not look good. Unless you know for sure that yours is not gold plated, don't use polish of any type.

If you're not happy with the finish, you could take the clock into a professional antique metal finisher and warn them about the potential gold plate. They can evaluate it and give you your best options.

In my opinion, it looks good and authentic just as it is. I would just gently clean it with a non-abrasive cleaner on a soft cloth and then wax it with a good automobile or furniture paste wax. again using a soft clean cloth. This will help to stabilize the finish. Finish up with a little glass cleaner on the beveled glass doors and sides and just admire it for what it is.

If you are going to operate it full time, you might want to have a good, reputable clock shop look over the movement for you. It might just need an oiling and inspection. The shop might recommend much more if the movement needs to be cleaned and if there are signs of wear and tear. Be forewarned that proper care to keep it in good running condition can get to be a bit pricey.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for sharing your heirloom with us.

Regards,

Bruce