ansonia brass and glass

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Carroll Hardin, Nov 22, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Donation Service is back after a brief absence to fix the payment service. Please give it a try! Donate
  1. Carroll Hardin

Carroll Hardin Registered User

Jul 24, 2001
    Have a nice ansonia brass and glass in for repair. It has been a long time since i had one of these and have forgotten how to remove from case. It's a visible escapement with jewel pallets, rack and snail on the back. It is the Crown model according to Roy Echardt id book. The top ornament is mounted with the bolt with the nut under the top. There are 2 screws on each side of the bezel at an angle Do I remove the top ornament, which would expose other screws for dis assembly? Please refresh my memory on this, as it's not what it once was.Thanks for your help and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Carroll Hardin

2. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Carroll, I would suggest you look at the bottom first. There should be a nut in each corner to loosen/remove and slide the glass panels and doors out after removing the bottom. Then you have access to the movement. I have the Ansonia Don and a couple others that I use this method to service. Let me know if it appears this will work for you.

Oh, I forgot to mention: If this appears to work, you can put a large rubber band around the outside of the clock case to hold the sides and doors together while removing the bottom. The doors will basically fall off while the side glasses will have a channel they slide through.

3. Carroll Hardin

Carroll Hardin Registered User

Jul 24, 2001
    Lamar,
    Many thanks for the tip on removing the brass and glass movement. As I said, haven't had one of these in years, and I just forgot.( and I thought the knees went first)

Carroll

4. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    I just finished one of these. There is a screw at the 6 position, though the bezel. Then from the back there are three screws that require a thin shafted screwdriver. The movement then is twisted. Of course the gong has to be removed, first.
    All the crystal regualtors that I have ever repaired came out of the case by twisting the movement to "slots" in the rear of the dial. The only time I took the case apart was to polish the brass or replace the glass. In the clock that I just finished the customer did not want the brass polished, so there was no need to take the case apart.
    Getting the glass and the movement back together at one time can be quite a trick.

5. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree Len. I know the Seth Thomas crystal regulators have the little nut at the bottom of the movement bezel below the 6 position you loosen and then twist the movement and remove. This method is so much easier. I do not think the few Ansonias I have worked on have that nice to have feature. With the Ansonias you feel like you need three hands and not on the clock.

6. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Yes, I agree. Some have a nut, but the Ansonia that I just did has a screw. But regardless of all the makes that I've done, there is someting at the 6 position and the movement twists out. Dont know about the French ones.