Ansonia alarm clock, age and composition of the body?

Sammyt97

Aug 18, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired this Ansonia Alarm clock. It needs a little bit of work, but I'm up for the challenge. Two things though, I can't find it anywhere on line and I'm wondering the age of the clock and of what the body is made. At first I thought Bronze, but I'm thinking metal now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris 82037.jpg 82038.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Sammy:

Your clock is called the Bronto. It is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia clocks and watches from the 1914 catalogue. It could have been made several years before and after. The catalogue description mentions "Japanese bronze," which may, I suppose, be a description of the finish. The actual metal may well be spelter. I can't be sure from the pictures. The catalogue description also mentions that it has a strike as well as an alarm. It is a one-day alarm clock. It had a close cousin, shown from the same catalogue, called the Rattler. Looks like a clock made to compete with Seth Thomas' Long Alarm and Owl Alarm from about the same period.

What's the story with the alarm dial and the seconds bit? They look funky.

Sammyt97

Aug 18, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help with identifying the clock's name and age. I think there was some sort of water damage to the clock face. If not water, some other type. The numbers have been written over and it certainly is a mess. Under the clock I saw the strike as well as the alarm. It's a pretty neat clock. Unusual that's why I got it. Thanks for your help again.

Chris

ak9708524

May 15, 2019
Country
Thank you for the welcome JTD !
It looks like Sammyt97 made a post on April 12th this year so I do hope he sees my inquiry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller