Another Wurth for me

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by etmb61, Jan 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is 8069. Looks complete and all the numbers match. I hope it looks this good when it arrives!

1905? 6?

Eric

Attached Files:

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    July-Sept. quarter 1906. Will look forward to complete photos when you get it!

3. Les Sanders

Les Sanders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Clock Repairman
    Sahuarita Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice example Eric! I love these early models!

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 etmb61, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Here are a couple more pictures for the record. Sorry they're dark, I spent some days cleaning and polishing and my camera doesn't like it.

Anyway, it's plate 1440. The guide says it could have had a 4 ball pendulum. Was that ever true for Wurth or should that note be lined out?

It was covered in polish residue and had lots of visible corrosion so I tore it down immediately to clean it up. It still needs the barrel hook repaired and a new mainspring, and a suspension spring to get it going.

It's missing one of the thumb screw knobs for the movement. The knob is just press fit, so it will pull off if you tighten the screw too much. It does have the stud though. I've checked the other makes of clocks I own and Wurth thumbscrews only fit Wurth clocks. Up until now I thought they were all interchangeable. Not so. By the way, Wurth used the same diameter and thread pitch for the thumbscrews, the front plate pillar screws, the suspension bridge screws, and the click wheel retainer bracket screw.

The dial bezel appears to be held on by small screws, but in reality they brass wire brads with the heads slotted to make them look like screws. On the back side they are just bent over. (The bezel picture is of clock number 10556.)

One more thing, the bottom edge of the back plate has the numbers 6 and 15 stamped into it.

The seller told me he would watch this clock run at his grandfather's house as a child and believes it was originally purchased by him. To me that's a much better story than "I got it at an estate sale".

Eric

bezel.jpg dial.jpg front.jpg plate_1440.jpg right.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I finally found a matched pair of Würth thumb screws! Only took a year and a half.

8.jpg

Eric

Wayne A likes this.
  6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a gorgeous clock!

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't seem to count. That's two and a half years isn't it.

I still need to fix the barrel hook on this one too.