Another watch story

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Tom Huber, Feb 26, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    About three years ago, I stopped at a yard sale. On the table was a smaller size gold tone Caravelle--no strap and the plastic crystal badly scratched, but it was running. I bought it for a quarter. When I purchased it, the lady running the sale said, "let me tell you about that watch". She went on to tell that they had bought that ww for their son in 1962 when he was 14. He didn't like to wear it on his wrist, so he tied a piece of string to one of the spring pins and tied it to his belt. About two months after he got it, the string broke one day and he lost his watch. They searched all over for it, but never found it. In 1996, her husband was replanting some shrubs in the yard, and he dug up the wristwatch. Reportedly, it was down in the ground about 6". I asked her if she really wanted to sell the watch, and she said "yes" that her son didn't want it. I brought it home, opened it up, found a fairly clean 7J movement with just a bit of rust on the hairspring. I put a new plastic crystal on it, as the old one was so scroed you couldn't see through it. The silvered dial has some moisture spots on it, but not bad. The watch loses about two minutes a day, probably due to the bit of rust on the hairspring. Now, what we have is an inexpensive Caravelle that was in the ground for 34 years which still runs.

Tom

2. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    About three years ago, I stopped at a yard sale. On the table was a smaller size gold tone Caravelle--no strap and the plastic crystal badly scratched, but it was running. I bought it for a quarter. When I purchased it, the lady running the sale said, "let me tell you about that watch". She went on to tell that they had bought that ww for their son in 1962 when he was 14. He didn't like to wear it on his wrist, so he tied a piece of string to one of the spring pins and tied it to his belt. About two months after he got it, the string broke one day and he lost his watch. They searched all over for it, but never found it. In 1996, her husband was replanting some shrubs in the yard, and he dug up the wristwatch. Reportedly, it was down in the ground about 6". I asked her if she really wanted to sell the watch, and she said "yes" that her son didn't want it. I brought it home, opened it up, found a fairly clean 7J movement with just a bit of rust on the hairspring. I put a new plastic crystal on it, as the old one was so scroed you couldn't see through it. The silvered dial has some moisture spots on it, but not bad. The watch loses about two minutes a day, probably due to the bit of rust on the hairspring. Now, what we have is an inexpensive Caravelle that was in the ground for 34 years which still runs.

Tom