• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Another use for ball bearings in a clock

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
A local store owner had this clock and asked if I could make it run. The wheels are made of plywood and had so much friction on the spindles that it wouldn't run. I made spindles to accept ball bearings and installed them in all the wheels and the winding drum. Also the pendulum just hung by a string and would get pushed out away from the pin wheel and the wheel would spin out of control until the pendulum crashed back into it again. I made a lower support and put a brass bushing in the stick that the string had been looped around. The pendulum pivots are .075" SS wire that comes out of kicker control cables(teleflex) that I polished and put a point on the lower pivot like the point of a pin pallet staff.

It had a locking device on the mainwheel that I converted to a bell hammer and added the bell off a Hermle ships bell movement and made it a striking clock.
Clocks 276.jpg Clocks 274.jpg

Here it is in action; https://youtu.be/KaAlplwbAMc

This thing has made me want to go out and buy a band saw.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Very nice. I tried to figure out how the bell worked, but the action was too fast.

I discovered while building science demonstrations that the cheapest precision ball bearings for such an application are roller-skate bearings, available at sporting-goods stores and elsewhere in packs of eight. The ID is about 1/4" and the OD about 7/8" but they're likely metric in size.

Mark Kinsler

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Too fast? Dude,you need more coffee:excited:!
There is a wooden pin sticking out of the back of the main wheel. As the wheel advances it pushes the hammer tail which then drops off the pin at the top of the hour. I started the video just as the pin came in contact with the hamer tail so if you watch you will see the hammer slowly being raised as the wheel advances.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I didn't catch that it was a bell, and was wondering what purpose it served. I'm glad I watch it to the end :)
ScottieTX would have loved it! Very cool. I'm surprised how much recoil it has!

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Yeah, it's a little over powered but I had to compensate for the wheels not being true. When I started the centers weren't centered,the pins on the EW were varying heigths and the pallets were different lengths and the pin were just cut off with wire cutters and the ends left that way. The EW has a little wobble so I had to index the height of the pins.
The wheels are not truly round so the pitch circle runs in and out as the wheels rotate. Best I could do was split the difference or make new wheels and I don't own a band saw. If you notice when the pend. rotates to the right it bumps the c-clamp I had the frame clamped to that 1X6 with. That was caused by my A/C blowing on it. The pend. rotates so freely now that if you lightly blow on it it will rotate. It is NOT a perfect machine and if it keeps within 5min. a day I'll consider it a triumph.

turboflyer

NAWCC Member
Feb 17, 2016
Country
Just saw this. So just a regular day at the office with a clock thingy. Pretty cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-