• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Another Ultrasonic cleaner question

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
I have two small ultrasonic cleaners. One has a basket that has the parts halfway submerged in the solution and the other has no basket, therefore the parts just lay on the bottom. My question is, is the cleaning better with the one that has the basket and is submerged half way or does it really make any difference and both are cleaned equally well. Thanks for any advice with this.

clockdoc45

Nov 23, 2006
I'm not sure if it makes any difference as far as the ability to clean. I think the main thing is how clean an effective your cleaning solution is. I'm not a big user of the ultrasonic. I do followups after quote professional clock repair people. It is truely a shame what these people do to customers clock movements with an ultrasonic. Esp. the modern movements and or antique movements with solder on them. WOW

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The theory is that items on the bottom of the US will eventually damage the pan and/or the transducer unit under it. The basket prevents that damage while still taking advantage of the cleaning action imparted. I've had to replace only two transducers in 20 years of using US cleaners, so can't say whether the fears are justified. Until recently, I always cleaned "on the bottom".

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
thanks guys for the replies. I have cleaned movements both by hand and ultrasonic. The ultrasonic sure gets the movements brighter but am unsure if it is any cleaner. Also, what is solder doing on a clock movement in the first place?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I use a basket in mine and solder is important to a clock maker.zzz:Party:
You know i am kidding...

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Solder has many uses in clock repair. A few of my favorites are sticking pieces of brass onto the plate, a la Rathbun, scabbing sections of teeth onto a broken wheel, and filling worn pivot holes so they can be re-drilled.

bangster :rolleyes:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My top four favorite home remedy tools are Solder, Super Glue, WD-40 and wire. What are your favorites?

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
A number of years ago, I sent my original ultrasonic in for repairs. I was advised by the company, one that does ultrasonic repairs, that the bottom of my tank had pin holes worn in it, allowing minute leaks. They told me this was caused by laying parts on the bottom and not using a basket. They appear to be the experts, so I have always used a basket since, much easier to get the parts out of the solution when done also.

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
A number of years ago, I sent my original ultrasonic in for repairs. I was advised by the company, one that does ultrasonic repairs, that the bottom of my tank had pin holes worn in it, allowing minute leaks. They told me this was caused by laying parts on the bottom and not using a basket. They appear to be the experts, so I have always used a basket since, much easier to get the parts out of the solution when done also.
You are correct. This is why they advise against it.

If you don't have a basket, use the beaker method, which is approved by L&R, as they sell beakers that are suspended in the tank by a frame on which the beaker hangs. Simply put plain water in the tank. Find a slightly smaller plastic container to hold your solution and parts. Immerse the container in the tank with the level of the water bath below the rim of your container. The ultrasonic waves will penetrate the solution, the same way as with no container used.