Another suspension spriing question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MQ32shooter, Mar 26, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought a Seth Thomas Umbria wall clock this weekend. The suspension spring was broken. A friend gave me one for a No. 2 ST and he said he thought it was correct for the Umbria. Problem is, the brass slot that would accept the suspension spring is too narrow for the new spring I have. Do I simply slide a screw driver up into the slot and widen it? Seems to be the correct thing to do, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Attached Files:

2. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wouldn't pry open the suspension slot but would thin the top block of the new suspension instead.

The risk in prying with a screwdriver is that you risk breaking off one side of the suspension stud. And even if you were successful in opening up the slot, it would no longer be parallel and would introduce pendulum wobble.

Hope that helps!

3. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, great answer. Don't tell anyone, but I already tried the "pry" it open thing. I'll see what I can do with the spring itself. David, do you the think the No. 2 spring would be correct?

4. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep! A Seth Thomas no. 2 suspension spring would by my first choice as well. This style of suspension unit was used on quite a few different regulators and, if you don't have the original pieces to compare, the no. 2 is an excellent place to start. If that unit doesn't work for some reason (too short, too long, too fast, too slow...) the next option is usually to make one :).

And it is fairly common to need to thin the suspension block somewhat as the modern replacements are a tad thick.

5. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is seldom easy to thin the block. The thinning must be done without kinking the spring. I sometimes hold it by the lower block and gently lay it against the side of a mild abrasive wheel.

6. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be more inclined to saw or file the suspension post to fit the spring - but that's just me....

7. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks everyone for the information. That's what I'll do.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Filing/sawing the post creates a permanent alteration to the clock which could affect it's value. Changing the spring does not. What if the 'right' spring is found later? It won't fit. I'd avoid that kind of alteration.

9. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shutterbug, guess I misread the post from DianneB. I"m actually filing down the top of the spring, not messing with the post.

10. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Has anyone ever purchased and used the One Piece Suspension Rod & Spring from Time Savers and if so what is the thickness of the spring/feather?
    I need to replace the one I have in a J C Brown shelf clock and it appears as though this was an original rod of steel.
    Thanks,
    Bruce JCBROWN 1.jpg

11. MQ32shooter

NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got the suspension spring filed down last night and she's up and running this morning. Thanks for all the help folks. You know, those Seth Thomas No. 40 movements are so pretty, think I might just leave the dial off!:excited:

Attached Files:

12. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    I guess no one has ever used the one piece steel suspension rod and spring unit..............so i'll take a chance and make the purchase.
    Bruce

13. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, they are cheap enough that if you don't like them, you are not out much. Perhaps Timesavers might tell you the thickness if you call them.

14. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The thickness on these varies. So, if you are looking for an exact size, you will need to purchase an assortment. The few I measured start out 0.0045" - 0.007" and get thicker the closer to the rod you go.

And Bruce, I'm afraid your post is camouflaged being embedded so deeply in another post asking about a Seth Thomas no. 2 suspension spring :). Perhaps that is why you received so few answers to your question.

15. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Dave and Harold,..................Dave I thought I would ride this post as it was dealing with rods and springs.
    Harold I called Timesavers,the answer is "we dont know the thickness and they are all 24 inches in length ".,hence my question.
    Thanks,
    Bruce