Another strike question for my Sessions

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
The wishbone clutch spring thingy that puts the count wheel under tension on a Sessions mantle clock appears to be allowing the wheel to wobble a bit to and fro. This is causing the count lever to misalign with teeth and, sometimes, to miss the deeper slots and so not stop the strike sequence.
Am I right in thinking it is the wishbone at fault? How do I fix that?

Regards,

TonyR.

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
The wishbone clutch spring thingy that puts the count wheel under tension on a Sessions mantle clock appears to be allowing the wheel to wobble a bit to and fro. This is causing the count lever to misalign with teeth and, sometimes, to miss the deeper slots and so not stop the strike sequence.
Am I right in thinking it is the wishbone at fault? How do I fix that?

Regards,

TonyR.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Well, "TR": You might be right but I don't think so. If your theory is correct then add tension to th' witchboan and that should take care of that - jes benditaliddle. I'd look elsewhere for your problem. REASON? Witchboan only allows lateral wobble while your problem doesn't seem related. Does it matter if it wobblesalittle long as countlever finds it? Nope . Your observation is worthwhile - but not the problem. Your problem is "stop the strike". Observe the hook on the stop lever as it approaches the stop pin. Slow down the action by interrupting the fly or slowing the wheel that drives it with a finger. You'll probably find the stop lever is not going deep enough into the stop pin and skipping over it.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Tony, it sounds like you are right about what's going on. Just tension it by bending, you may be able to do it by not taking it apart, using a wire bender to do the job. You can make your own by cutting a slot in a broken screwdiver or just steel stock.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I'm probly wrong "LB" but I think th' wishbone he's referring to is the one that retains the countwheel to it's arbor with a little locking tab to secure it - that thin brass retainer?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by Scottie-TX:
I'm probly wrong "LB" but I think th' wishbone he's referring to is the one that retains the countwheel to it's arbor with a little locking tab to secure it - that thin brass retainer?
S'what I thought, in which case, if the CW is wobbling a bit, the spring is loose and can be sorted without dismantling.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi,

Thanks guys, I did a bit of fiddling and I think we're rocking and rollnig now.
Thanks again.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
HUH! TR that's great but I never new playin' a violin was therapootik fera klok. Hmmmm. Mebbe I'll start fiddlinaliddle more around my clox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller