Another snowy day, another project..

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Billy, Jan 25, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any guesses as to who or what this may have come from? What I know, probably a tall case. Just wondering if I have a typical movement of that era. The hand shaft asm. pictured is a replacement for the one between the plates.
    wood works 001 (Small).jpg wood works 002 (Small).jpg wood works 003 (Small).jpg wood works 004 (Small).jpg wood works 005 (Small).jpg
    Thanks for any thoughts, Billy

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This looks to be a William Leavenworth movement, well worth restoring. Original unbroken lead alloy hands are rare, and it looks like you have at least the hour hand. Reproduction minute hands in that Leavenworth pattern (used by both William and Mark Leavenworth) are available. The diamond shaped opening towards the base of the hand is a distinctive Leavenworth trait. How wide is the seat board? It should be just about 12", and yours looks like it may have been shortened a bit.

3. tomvaughn

tomvaughn Registered User

Jun 12, 2013
    sure looks like a Leavenworth! This is most likely a William Leavenworth, the dial is probably unsigned, but there should be one wooden dowel that sticks out of the dial that fits into the front plate (I noticed one hole in the front plate where the dial is inserted, the hold in the top of the plate is the same location as on my Leavenworth clock.) Mark Leavenworth had two of these dowels going into the front plate, and William, one dowel. The hour hand is absolutely Leavenworth style.

4. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter, the seat board is indeed short, measures about 10 1/2". Also I thought I had the minute hand with it, gonna have to look for that.:confused:

Tom, there is one dowel placed on the back of the dial board.

Thanks, Billy

5. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The minute hand, if original, will also have the diamond shaped decoration towards the bottom of the hand.

6. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found the other hand that I was thinking of and its not a match. This one has a tear drop style to it. :(

7. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don Bruno can supply a passable replacement.