Another Sessions Time/Strike

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Now that the Waterbury monument clock with the steel plates is up and running great, I moved on to another monument clock I picked up a few weeks ago, this time a Sessions. An aside... what IS the right word to describe this style of clock?

The Waterbury...

Waterbury.jpg

... a Seth Thomas ....

SethThomas.jpg

... and the Sessions currently "on the bench"....

Sessions.jpg

Would love to know what this style is called. I know "Adamantine" is sometimes used, albeit incorrectly as I understand, because that term applies to the sort of celluloid veneer finish used by Seth Thomas, and not to the style of clock, yes?

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the movement as found in the Sessions... wanna play "spot the problem?" .... ;)

Sessouch1.jpg Sessouch2.jpg

At first I thought this was the result of the typical Sessions click failure that I've read so much about but haven't seen in person yet, but the click is fine. The time spring had just broken cleanly about 8" from the loop end. Would heating, reshaping, and forming a new loop and rivet, then re-hardening, be an advisable approach for the experience of dong so, or just get a new spring?

Also, the T3 wheel took the brunt of the damage obviously. So far, everything else upon cursory examination looks OK. I've straightened the wheel with a lot of careful light tapping and cajoling, but can't get it back on the brass shoulder collar (or whatever it's called... correct term, please?) due to the extensions present at the dimples from the original staking. I tried tapping it back on, but it won't go past those little protrusions indicated by the yellow arrows.

811706d9-2aff-40b3-963f-1043f180b467.jpg ff7ecb12-b48a-47c4-bee8-cc1c6a2342fa.jpg

How would you deal with this? Carefully file down those extensions, then restake by placing dimples in the spaces between the existing ones? There's a bit of damage to the wider part of the collar that the wheel will rest upon, seen between the two arrows in the pic on the right, but that shouldn't affect the function at all, correct?

Tips? Tricks? Something new to learn.. almost every time... love it!

Thanks again.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's a "black mantle". A very popular clock around the turn of the last century.

Repairing the inner hole is not a good idea. I'm good at it and have about a 50% failure rate ... Replace the spring with a .0165" x 108" long. 96" is OK, if you can't find a 108".

The clicks may be working but rarely are they "good".

Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: MuseChaser

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
On the brass hub, use a small file and file back the bulge at each of the stake points. The wheel will still center OK and you can stake it at four different places. As for the spring, no, do not shorten it for a couple reasons. First we don't know why it broke so we don't know that it won't fail again. Second, Sessions typically used 3/4" x 0.018" x 96" springs. You will do better with 0.0165" x 102" replacement - do not buy from India springs. Most of these black mantel clocks have specific names if you do the research but generally 'black mantel clocks' is what I've always called them.

RC

3/4" x 0.0165" x (anything 96" to 108" should be good)

Last edited:
Reactions: MuseChaser

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Thank you both...very much....yet again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosGraveyard
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller