Another rare torsion clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by reinhart, Nov 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. reinhart

reinhart Registered User

Feb 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
    JU01.jpg JU02.jpg JU04.jpg JU05.jpg After years of silence I want to Show you this, at least in my estimate, rare Clock. I have not seen that Kind of crowned dome yet. Dimensions are 320mm from base to top, 170mm base Diameter and 150mm top Diameter. Would appreciate your Evaluations as allways.
    Regards from Vienna, Reinhart

JU01.jpg JU02.jpg JU04.jpg JU05.jpg

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Reinhart,

That's a unique one for sure. The movement is by JUF from around 1912. The pendulum looks correct for that time too, is it numbered? Is the dial celluloid or enameled?

Eric

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Need to discuss with John Hubby here on the MB. He is perhaps the worlds foremost expert on torsion pendulum clocks.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice top and base? Has the clock run in the past? Strange to see the adjuster weights so far out on the pendulum. Probably the suspension spring is not the right thickness, as in too thick and it was running very fast.

Kurt

5. reinhart

reinhart Registered User

Feb 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
    The pendulum is not numbered, the dial seems to be enamel, I have to dismantle to be sure. In my estimateThe Clock has not been running for quite a period of time. I have not done any work on it yet but I am Looking Forward to do. Besides, although I actually quitted collecting years ago I could not withstand to buy that nice piece out of a Heritage just recently. Thanks for all comments, Reinhart

6. reinhart

reinhart Registered User

Feb 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
    base feets.jpg dial.jpg plates.jpg Addendum: Dial definitiv enamel, thickness of the glass cylinder 5mm

etmb61 likes this.
  7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are the base and top made of metal?

8. reinhart

reinhart Registered User

Feb 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
  9. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you post a couple of different views of the base and top dome? The top looks like it's made from at least two parts formed together. The pattern on the sides of both parts looks pressed in, as opposed to being applied, and are well formed with good detail. Someone made special tooling to do that. That seems like a lot of work for a one off item. There must be others items with this design out there.

Where did you acquire it? Perhaps it's previous ownership could offer some insight to the design.

Eric

10. reinhart

reinhart Registered User

Feb 19, 2016
    Country Flag:
    base01.jpg dome01.jpg dome02.jpg top01.jpg All parts are crafted extraordinarily well.And yes, the dome is Kind of a mistery for me and, was the Thing that fascinated/interested me in the first place. Concerning provenience, the Clock came from an elderly Lady Living in Vienna who herited it from her grandmother, presumably.
    Regards Reinhart

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The age of the clock really shows with the apparent thickness of the dome! :thumb:

Kurt

PatH likes this.
  12. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement support platform with the center cut out looks more like something usually found with a Becker clock. The rectangular portion of the platform is also narrower than the movement. Unusual features for a JUF clock.

Eric