Another PAPER-ON-WOOD shelf clock dial...

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Peter A. Nunes, Apr 14, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    While wandering the parking lot tailgate event at the Southern Ohio Regional last week I happened upon this interesting paper-on-wood, wood movement shelf clock dial, which is related to others printed by Endicott & Swett, though this one is not signed. A friend who is researching these says this is the seventh example of which he is aware- four are in complete clocks, three are loose dials. There is interesting stuff still turning up! This one measures 12.5" wide and 11.5" high, about like the others. There seem to be, among the know examples, at least three distinct, but very similar, designs, which would seem to indicate, unscientifically, that many more than seven must have been printed, as a great deal of effort would have been put into the preparation for producing just one, so it stands to reason that many would have been produced by the same stone (if indeed these are lithographs, which they seem to be). More on that later.

Here is a link to my posting of a couple of months ago, concerning a complete clock with a very similar paper on wood dial-

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=69001

Comments welcome, and of course as I've stated previously, any leads to similar clocks or dials will be much appreciated, and may help fill in the story of these rare and interesting sidelights to the wood movement clock story.

Below are several pictures depicting the new dial (note that the white infill in the chapter ring is relatively recent and unfortunate), as well as two pictures showing how this dial compares in details with two other dials, one of which is shown in Cog Counter's Journal # 14, pp. 101-103.

Attached Files:

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Wasn't there a song by the Ink Spots that went something like:

"I'm gonna buy a paper dial,
    that I can call my own,
    A dial other fellows cannot steal,
    And then the flirty, flirty guys,
    with their flirty, flirty eyes,
    Will have to flirt with dails that are painted zinc..."

Oh, I guess not. That was "Paper Doll". My mistake.

125.jpg

RM

3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We do not approve of ink spots on our dials.