Another one followed me home

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by gilbert, Mar 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Took a ride yesterday down towards the ocean since we hadn't been down that way in a while. Stopped a few places including one that had just opened fairly recently . We had only been there once and I (at that time) had noticed an old clock that had a 'don't open, being researched' tag on door so I just left it alone. We looked at everything in the store ( I had thought) but as we were about to go out the door a corner of this caught my eye and I had to go back and look (we had walked by but I missed it,being on the floor). When I looked it had the same tag on it and waited to talk to the owner about it. He said he hadn't really done much research on it and I asked how much he wanted for it. He came back with a range and I was happy to pay the high end of what he asked and hope (as always) I did ok with it. Seth Thomas with 'Hartford, printed by Hudson and Skinner' label. Need work of course but isn't to bad and is ticking as I speak. st1a.jpg st3a.jpg st5a.jpg

2. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful clock Gilbert! Looks like a keeper to me. The finial might take some waiting to find, but I'm sure it'll pop up in your watch list if you're patient.

Congrats, Scott

3. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually I do have the other finial, just not in picutres (it was snapped off), also have the hands.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock i like it very much. It has been well cared for during its life.

5. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does the scroll look original to this case?

6. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did not take a very close look beyond NOT noticing any obvious color contrast that might make me wonder, but I certainly take a closer look this evening

7. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did take a closer look at the whole top. I would say questionable at this point, but can't lean in either direction at the moment

8. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen a couple of the later "looking glass cases" with earlier P&S tops, and on occasion P&S bottom feet also. Those that I have seen (2) neither were original to the case. One was a recent shop built scroll, the other appeared to be a period P&S top grafted on the case at a later date. Outlines of the original top could still be seen on that clock....

9. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    May well be the case with this one also, just haven't figured it out one way or another yet

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    As earlier stated, there are "true transition" clocks that have been covered on the MB. They may have "pillar and scroll" tops and/or feet.

However, they are not typically this type of case.

Also as previously stated, there are flat reeded (usually reeded but not always) pilaster clocks with a scroll top. They too have been covered previously on the MB.

However, I too wondered about the scrolls on your clock. I don't believe I've ever seen a typical "pillar and splat" clock with a "pillar and scroll" top or feet that I thought was genuine.

Good pix of the rear of the top might help. A side shot may help, too. As the wood of the old scrolls shrinks, the scrolls bend backwards. Not an infallible sign of age or originality, but along with the preponderance of other evidence, may sway people to one way or another.

If it was real, that would be worth noting.

RM

11. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, I did get to take another look last night under better lighting. It does NOT appear to be original to this clock

12. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gilbert, One damn handsome clock! Joe.