Another oldish Seth Thomas

Holescreek

Jul 26, 2019
Centerville, OH
Country
At first glance I thought this was a much younger clock. With the face mounted all I could see was the shiny bell above the pendulum. After I removed the face I found the oldest service date from Jan 1900. Then 1903 inside the case above the movement. While looking the case over I found a list on the back showing the service dates every year or two up to 1914.

20210624_124042.jpg 20210624_124210.jpg 20210624_124731.jpg 20210624_124338.jpg 20210624_124557.jpg 20210624_124241.jpg 20210624_124241.jpg

Reactions: Dave T

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
NICE! I like the harp movements. It looks like it is in good shape. Lots of people hate the service graffiti, but I love it. A clocksmith in MA recently worked on a movement in a church. Simon Willard repaired it, his son, and his grandson worked on it. Good luck with the clock!

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Nice clock!
To me, it looks like an almost exact match of the Pittsburgh V.P. which is on of the City Series, however, the version in Tran Dy Ly's book does not have the finial that yours has, nor the stenciled glass. It also has a different bob, but I suspect yours may not be original. The Pittsburgh is listed as circa 1880. Here is a picture from the book, page 204
IMG_9679.jpg

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
What Grant said...

Someone has "embellished" your Seth Thomas Pittsburgh. If it were mine, as a collector, I'd try to return it to its original condition. That would mean losing the finial and professionally "plugging" the hole left behind as well as finding an appropriate dial and having a matching walnut dial mounting board fabricated, stained and finished. I'd also get rid of the stenciled pattern on the glass tablet. The Pittsburgh also featured a very ornate glass pendulum. On the other hand, you liked the clock "as is" enough to acquire it, so enjoy!

We acquired this model to eventually pass along to one of our children who went to Pittsburgh University and enjoyed living in the city. It's much too hilly with snow and ice for us.

This is what this model looked like coming out of the factory, exactly as Grant detailed. Our example has a ST 44 "Hip" Movement. Yours is casing one of their "Lyre" movements. it may be original but, based on everything else, I'd look for signs that it may not be.
Front.jpg
Front Right.jpg
Movement.jpg

Thanks for sharing your clock with us Holescreek.

Regards,

Bruce

Edit: I see that you still have the dial and mounting board. That's great! :thumb:

Reactions: Grant Perry

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
He does seem to have the dial and mounting board. See his first attachment in post # 1.
Hello Steven,

Yes, you're right. I did notice that after I had posted. I was viewing on a Chromebook and didn't see the bottom of his photo at first. I made a labeled edit to the end of my post. That will make returning things closer to original, for our OP or a subsequent owner, much easier. They are nice clocks.

Regards,

Bruce

Holescreek

Jul 26, 2019
Centerville, OH
Country
This is one of three clocks that my wifes friend found in her mothers shed. The mothers family had a jewelry store that closed in the 50's. The clocks were taken from the store and have been stored all this time. The other two clocks were a Kundo anniversary with an oval glass dome and another Seth Thomas with an International Time Recorder face (it has it's own posting with photos). The Kundo doesn't have a box but has all the original paperwork and doesn't appear to have ever been used. I've been adjusting the speed regulator on the Kundo a little every day for a week trying to get it to slow down and keep time. The ST with the ITR dial runs great.

I just started looking at this clock yesterday when I saw all the names and dates. It's the first clock I've seen with so many dates. I noticed that the artwork on the glass wasn't original after seeing where the artist accidentally got paint on the wood leaving brush marks. The photos posted in this thread are a great help, I don't think I'd have figured out what it was supposed to look like.

The friend asked me to look the clocks over and either buy them outright or help her sell them as she has no interest in keeping them. She said she wasn't in a hurry so I'm still in the investigation phase and just want to get them serviced and running again before I decide their fate.

Holescreek

Jul 26, 2019
Centerville, OH
Country
I saw something else rather strange when I was taking the pictures for the original post, did you notice the black tape wrapped around the fly in the picture of the movement? It looks like several layers of tape have been wrapped around it.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
I saw something else rather strange when I was taking the pictures for the original post, did you notice the black tape wrapped around the fly in the picture of the movement? It looks like several layers of tape have been wrapped around it.
Perhaps someone was trying to slow the tempo of the hourly strike. I'd remove it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-