Another off beat one off...

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
As some who follow my postings may be aware, I do like some of the more off beat one off types of clocks.

Recently came across this whilst picking in ME:

turtle shell 1.JPG

Someone took a real turtle shell (7 1/4 greatest length x 5 greatest width) and turned it into a wall clock!

Here it is taking its rightful place on the wall:

turtle shell 5.JPG

Here's the bottom/back:

turtle shell 3.JPG

Using brass wire, they formed a hanger and hinges. The underside is hinged and opens like a door to permit access to the movement:

turtle shell 4.JPG

It is kept closed with a brass hook and eye.

Someone actually did all of this with quite a bit of care and trouble.

I date this to the early 20th century. Has wear, patina, etc.

The movement is one of those crappy little early 20th century German lever movements found in all sorts of little clocks of that period. It's missing the setting knob. It actually runs for a bit. I don't really care about that. It bought it for the case.

Here is the paper dial:

turtle shell 2.JPG

Note it is inscribed on the bottom "...for Theodore Schisgall, N.Y.". If you look closely, something was scratched out. Based upon other clocks I found on line bearing his name, it said "Made in Germany for Theodore Schisgall".

Why was "Made in Germany" scratched out?? Not sure. Possibly this clock was created closer to WWI when there was a certain animosity towards Germany and German goods??

As best as I can ascertain, Mr. Schisgall was active business in the first 1/2 of the 20th century. There are patents up to 1953. Here's an ad from 1909 I found on-line:

schisgall.PNG

All consistent with my general approximation of the date of the clock and that the movement used was imported by him from Germany.

By the way, Mr. Schisgall was quite the inventor. I found a number of patents he entered for watches, clocks, radium dial clocks, and and even this:

US1274458A - Combined child's rocking-chair, stationary chair, crib, and baby-carriage. - Google Patents

It's for a "Combined child's rocking-chair, stationary chair, crib, and baby-carriage." And it's in the shape of a baby! Pretty weird...maybe he did make this clock?

Bless his heart, he even patented a design for a crucifix!

USD56628S - Design for a crucifix - Google Patents

Interesting fellow.

Here's something superfluous.

I'm always amazed that years ago people anonymously devoted significant amounts of time creating wonderful things. I thought this was something in that vein:

cut paper flowers 1.JPG

This picture doesn't do it justice. Here's a close-up that comes closer to the actual colors:

cut paper flowers 2.JPG

It's a large 3 dimensional floral arrangement in a fluted bowl all in a deep shadow box with a gilt gesso frame. Multiple materials were used including paper, muslin, satin, silk, gilt paper, marbleized paper, water color embellishment...and so on.

I believe this was created in the Regency or early Victorian period in England. Some have suggested French which it could be. However, I do have some books on Regency crafts and this reminds me of that type of work and cut felt work which was also contemporaneously popular in the UK.

RM

Last edited:

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
RM

It’s good to see you coming out of your shell… That is an offbeat one even for you! :)

Bruce

Reactions: PatH and Kevin W.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
:):)
Here's more info about how they obtained the shell:RM
I get email alerts when posts are made in several forums… I still haven’t figured out why I get images with some the emails, and not with others.

In this case I was walking the dog when i read the email alert that only had RM’s text, and was looking forward to getting back to my desktop computer so I could read what would no doubt be another long, informative post from RM, this time on the selection and use of large tortoise shells in clock making

and then i saw the image.... :)

as bugs bunny would say, you got me, doc!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Remove the fit up, apologize to the turtle, get your two dollars back, and everyone go home happy.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
:):)

I get email alerts when posts are made in several forums… I still haven’t figured out why I get images with some the emails, and not with others.

In this case I was walking the dog when i read the email alert that only had RM’s text, and was looking forward to getting back to my desktop computer so I could read what would no doubt be another long, informative post from RM, this time on the selection and use of large tortoise shells in clock making

and then i saw the image.... :)

as bugs bunny would say, you got me, doc!
Well, tortoise shell was originally used with brass and pewter inlay for Boulle work clock cases:

2017_CKS_14220_0210_000(a_louis_xiv_ormolu-mounted_tortoiseshell_and_brass-inlaid_boulle_marqu).jpg
Or as a decorative veneer:

Lempertz-1107-707-Decorative-Arts-A-splendid-Augsburg-torto.jpg

American clocks used faux tortoise shell decoration for columns and such:

H1101-L143241258.jpg

I am sure if you restore the movement you will find it ALWAYS runs slow. Tank you !
"Whah, whah, whah" ;>)

And don't forget, people ate them:

1_c7cc89c78fefd3c0e9661575d0c2dd74.jpg

I don't think anyone eats sea turtles anymore. People still eat snapping turtles.

RM

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
My Grandparents on my dad's side never turned down an opportunity to have a nice pot of (snapping) turtle soup. How do I know? For one thing, they had three big turtle shells mounted on the wall in their three season room. One had two bullet holes in it! Grandpa told told my brother and I (we were pretty young) that turtle meat still twitches ever after you cut it up. Then he gave us a wry smile and said "I like turtle soup... it the only soup I know that stirs itself". Ah... memories.

Bob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
RM, do you know if Theodore Schisgall was related to Solomon Schisgall who invented the Lever Wind watch that was wound by moving the pendant back and forth? I haven't found a tie-in between the two men yet, but thought you might have run across something while researching your amazing turtle shell clock.

Thanks for your posts!
Pat

DSC04067.JPG DSC04070.JPG DSC04075.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
RM, do you know if Theodore Schisgall was related to Solomon Schisgall who invented the Lever Wind watch that was wound by moving the pendant back and forth? I haven't found a tie-in between the two men yet, but thought you might have run across something while researching your amazing turtle shell clock.

Thanks for your posts!
Pat

View attachment 523966 View attachment 523967 View attachment 523968
Thanks for you kind comment.

No, I did not know that for sure but I did come across the name while "googling".

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmitry Mor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry