Another mystery one

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by gilbert, Jul 25, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked this one up last weekend. Shame the label is mostly gone, makes things a tad more difficult to identify. Columns have been re-done with paint as well as splat. Bell on top .

While I can by no means be sure, the columns are not unlike pics of Jeromes and Darrow clocks I've seen and the decorative pattern around what is left of label and the placement and size of partial 'warranted' word appear to be (at least in casual glance) the same as another Jeromes and Darrow clock I have. I believe the clock will run also for more then 10 minutes if I make a effort to get it in beat (little graphite to be cleaned up at some point also)

I believe this between the plates escapement movement is a groaner correct?

100_2618.jpg 100_2624.jpg groaner1.jpg label1.jpg

2. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Couple things I forgot to add, I believe both the mirror and upper glass are replacements.

There are quite a few signatures on the door and wood backing for mirror, oldest one I have be able to make out so far is 1838. One appears to be that of repairman in 1909. Same repairman who's label is on bottom of door which states 'don't let a botch repair your jewelry or watch ' :)

3. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    gilbert,

You're correct that the movement is known as a groaner. The movement was made by Chauncey Boardman. I believe the clock, however, was the product of Austin Chittenden. I have only seen that border pattern on Chittenden clocks. I used to own one. See below for a couple of photos of a clock at the NAWCC museum in Columbia, PA. All examples I've seen had groaner movements. Spittlers & Bailey list Austin Chittenden at Lexington, MA from 1831-1837. He was also in partnership with Jonathan Burr (Burr & Chittenden) during this period.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good eye on the pattern and thanks Mike, glad I was questioning it myself.