Another mess. SIGH!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by shutterbug, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:52 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 shutterbug, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    This one is on my bench right now. I don't see a way to undo this mess, but you have to wonder what he was thinking! One bushing was reamed too small so he beat the thing into submission, then instead of bushing flat with the plate on the inside, he left the bushings proud on both sides and went to work with his file! The bushings are all fitting the pivots fine and there wouldn't have been any issues ..... but he used some kind of grease on all of the pivots and it coagulated and hosed the action. Or it might have been the third wheel on the chime side that he left 1mm proud on the inside so it couldn't have had any room to move. :eek:

IMG_4925.JPG IMG_4926.JPG

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep that's a mess. Just take it one hole at a time and make it mechanically sound. It ain't never gona be beautiful, but if can you make it run smile all the way to the bank.

RC

3. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got a movement with the opposite problem. SB It's an Ansonia WM and someone placed 1.4mm bushings. I haven't measured the plates yet but they are noticeably thicker than 1.4 mm! That just irks me. If you're going to place bushings, get the right size. The short ones are going to get replaced. The bearing area is too small and they collect "gunk". I just hope that they were reamed on center. The movement also has some jerry-rigged click spring replacements. A flimsy little round wire on the Chime Click! :eek:

Good luck getting that all straightened out.

4. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 RJSoftware, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    He must of had a nip of the ol lighter fluid.

One of my childhood friends use to huff gasoline. He'd put some in an empty plastic bread bag, blow it up like a balloon then shake the gas in the bag and huff it.

He offered me some but I declined. He use to comment that it made the road vibrate. Later he was institutionalized, he kept having episodes of seeing little people crawling near him. Never seen him again.

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Got a guy out here that does that to plates but much deeper. I guess he heard that the bushings need to be cupped. But he does it on the wrong side the inside.