• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Another large faced 400 day

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
In a previous post I was inquiring on the date of one of my clocks and this one came up, so I thought it best to have a separate post for a separate clock. I am curious about the maker and the age. I liked this one because of the 5 inch face and it is chrome. The base is only plated under the globe, but not around it. Unfortunately, mine is missing a couple of the numbers. The fork is different being shaped like a "U" instead of the two tines. If memory serves, the same fork was discussed in another post sometime ago. So, where my question lies: it most closely resembles plate 1167, which is a Kienzle, c. 1909. The major difference being that the "Germany" is written straight across. It also resembles 1667, which is Kern & Link, 1930. I believe it more likely to be the Kienzle given the bracket and pendulum. However, 1167 says disc pendulum. Any thoughts?

IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2611.JPG

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
It has a Kern pendulum and other other characteristics. I can't see the suspension bracket but it appears to be like the ones on my other Kern clocks. I'd say it's a Kern.

compare.jpg

Eric

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have a couple of Kundo's with a minute hand like that but the hour hand is more elaborate in the original poster's clock.

Kurt

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
Thanks for the tutorial on the pendulums; I have always looked at the pictures of the two and wondered what is the difference. In your pic of the Kern the bulb at the bottom looks completely smooth, whereas the bulb on mine has a ridge like the Kienzle, but the points you showed all match Kern. I have included a pic of the bracket, also.

IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2617.JPG

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
It has a Kern pendulum and other other characteristics. I can't see the suspension bracket but it appears to be like the ones on my other Kern clocks. I'd say it's a Kern.

View attachment 623516

Eric
First thing I noticed different was the weights are shaped differently, your Kienzle example has spherical weights and the Kern are somewhat elongated.