Another JUF joins the collection

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I recently purchased this JUF along with a few other 400-day clocks. This is the second clock we have which carries a "Levinson" label on the dial.

I believe it is a variation of plate 1595 as it has the double-elephant logo and no circular jahresuhrenfabrik stamp, but it does have a circular "made in Germany" stamp in the top-right corner, which is not shown in the book.

When I posted our other "Levinson" clock 18 months ago, Martin discovered for me that Levinson was a Perth Jeweller in the first half of the 20th century. It was quite a deal in its day - the jeweller to visiting royalty. The Levinson label is actually a sticker or transfer but almost looks to be printed.

Like our other Levinson, this one has a hand-scribed number above the logo. This one appears to be Y4546 so, assuming it's some sort of stock number, it is probably newer than the other one which was scribed Y3579. I'm guessing it's early 1930s. There is something else scratched in near the Germany mark, but I'm not yet able to decipher it. I assume it is a repairer's mark.

I just need a bottom block and a whole tub of elbow grease for this one. There is rust on the steel parts and all the brass needs attention. But the dial is pristine and everything else is there except for the spring guard, if it ever had one.

juf-levinson2.jpg juf-levinson-dial.jpg juf-backplate.jpg juf-logo.jpg

Last edited:

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hi Andy,

Nice find. There would have been a suspension guard very similar to the "modern" Schatz type except that instead of a thumbscrew it would have had a threaded stud on the fixed tube and nut to hold the moving section. I'll post a picture later.

Eric

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Here is a comparison of the 1950's guard (left) with one from the 1920s (right). As you can see the older guard is slightly shorter than the newer.

Attachments

GT.NZ

Jul 18, 2015
Levin, New Zealand
Country
Nice clock Andy. I bought a similar one a few weeks ago, about the same age as yours but with a different pediment. Thanks to Eric I know know for sure what the stud on the suspension guard's for. Pity the clock didn't come wityh the bottom piece of the guard.

Glyn

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thanks Eric. I think one of my other clocks has the older guard, though I'd have to look behind them to see.

@Glyn: I think there's a box, somewhere in the world, just filled with suspension guards that went on holiday and never returned :)

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
I've never even seen one of the older type in real life.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I think it would have been introduced about the time JUF dropped serial numbers and persisted until WWII. Very few of the clocks I've recorded from that period still have the guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent