Another GCHZ Type 2 restored...

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by pmwas, Jul 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got this watch for repairs.
    It is an early Moscow made 12 size Hampden, the 'Type 2".
    Not like the 16 size 'type 1", type 2 is fairly scarce, and pretty much each and every - worth restoring.

IMG_4774.JPG

Looks like I'm lucky to get rusty watches recently. this one is not mine, though - just for repairs.
    This time I don't have to mstruggle with the rust so much, as Hampden's parts are easy to obtain.
    The winding gear (the very finish version) I had in my drawer.

But there were many more problems than just rust.
    First - someone force opened the screw down back. Secondly - the dial was non original and glued to the plate.

I got:
    • the winding gear mentioned
    • a hairspting
    • a 4th wheel
    • hands
    ...and off I go!

I had to clean the crown wheel, though, as all the spare Hampden's 12s crown wheels I have are earlier, not matching ones.

IMG_5065.JPG

Assembling a Hampden is quite sraightforward.
    It has a negative-stem assembly with the other part of the stem fixed in the sleeve in the case pendant.

IMG_5066.JPG

The glue did not come off in cleaning. I remembered about it later, but it came off easily with a wooden toothpick...
    Watch out for the setting lever spring - likes to break.
    It's very crue, this one, so either a replacement or Russian made.

IMG_5073.JPG

Single roller escapement.
    This watch has a mismatched set of gears, but since the rusty one was of this style, it could have been a factory mismatch - they probably used a fancy old stock gear they had ;)

IMG_5077.JPG

Like I said - the dial was glued, but I prefer feet. Even though they look worse. I just hate glue.
    I made riveted feet - they look crude, but the whole dial is anyway :)

IMG_5084.JPG

Done. The case is in bad shape, but at least I managed to straighten (no, bend back would be a better word) the back to screw down quite well.

IMG_5083.JPG

Original case, of course, marked by the Moscow's 1st watch factory inside...

IMG_5081.JPG

And done :) upload_2020-7-26_19-28-13.gif
    I had to time the balance with the new hairspring by removing two small screws (the 'donor' balance had 6 pairs, this one - 7) and unscrewing the mean-time screws a bit.
    Seems to be keeping time now...

It's not much, but another Type 2 alive. Not that many of them anyway.
    Tomorrow this goes back to it's owner :)