Another French Marble "Rebuild" Job

FatrCat

NAWCC Member
Jun 20, 2020
. . . probably at work. . .
Country
Region
With the great results I was able to get with my first marble restoration, I couldn't resist picking up this beauty. A Japy Freres in the 1865-1880 range, with Brocot open escapement and jewel pallets.

While this one thankfully didn't have marble damaged in shipment, it still arrived in pieces, so as with the last one I separated the remaining pieces with a warm water soak to facilitate getting a nice, even re-polishing of the marble and easier job of restoring the incising detail. Once that was all completed I re-assembled the marble sections and finished it off with a few coats of paste furniture wax.

The movement and dial face, bezel, etc. of this one were in really good but dirty condition, so all that was needed there was a thorough cleaning, oiling, and then having loads of fun in dealing with the really finicky adjustment of the Brocot open escapement to get it running smoothly. Particularly fun because I'd never done one of these before and had no idea just how temperamental they could be, but research and patience paid off in the end!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Very nicely done on the incising. The detail on this case is quite elaborate compared to most. I've done one with much simpler lines using a fine brush that came out well. Others have suggested Rub N Buff. Would you mind sharing what method you used or a link if you've already posted something?

FatrCat

NAWCC Member
Jun 20, 2020
. . . probably at work. . .
Country
Region
Very nicely done on the incising. The detail on this case is quite elaborate compared to most. I've done one with much simpler lines using a fine brush that came out well. Others have suggested Rub N Buff. Would you mind sharing what method you used or a link if you've already posted something?
Like you I used a fine tipped brush (and avoided my 2nd cup of coffee 'til after, lol) to apply (as it had been) a mix of silver and gold paints called Brush-N-Leaf, which actually are made by the same company as the Rub-N-Buff waxes, then allowed a little removal to occur in the centers of large leafs and petals in the final wax/buffing to bring out the veining details in them.

Whomever did the original incise cutting sure had a steady hand; it was all done very evenly, making the paint work much easier to keep even, too.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thank you. Always on the look out for different paint types. The metallics can be quite different from brand to brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff