• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Another Estate Sale Find

TimWK

Nov 20, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Country
Region
Picked this two weight at an estate sale the other week. Was told it didn’t work. While taking it apart I noticed that all the screws on the movement were loose. After cleaning the movement and reassembling the movement put it on my test stand and it worked fine. I cleaned the case and you can see how nice it is. The top & bottom finials were missing and I’m looking for suggestions as to what I should put there. Also, there was some writing on the back which indicates a date of 1888, but I don’t read German and would like it translated for me. Here are some pictures of what I Have.

Best Regards IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0703.JPG

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello Tim,

The case cleaned up nicely. Certainly has the look of quality – note that the important movement parts are numbered. A picture of the pendulum mount might help the more knowledgeable identify the maker.

Are there indications that there were originally finials or any other elements on the top and bottom of the case? I’m not sure it needs either.

Michael

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I don’t read German and would like it translated for me.
The writing on your clock says:

2. Juli 1888, Steglitz. Hochzeitsgeschenk von meinem Chef J. C. Schaarwächter (+). k.u.k. Hof-Photograph, Berlin.

2nd Juli 1888, Steglitz. Wedding present from my boss, J. C. Schaarwächter, (+) court photographer, Berlin.

Steglitz is a district of Berlin, presumably where the wedding took place. The (+) indicates that Schaarwächter had died.

Julius Cornelius Schaarwächter was a very eminent photographer in Berlin, with his studio right opposite the Reichstag building. He was born on 14th July 1847 and died 14. October 1904.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
The writing on your clock says:

2. Juli 1888, Steglitz. Hochzeitsgeschenk von meinem Chef J. C. Schaarwächter (+). k.u.k. Hof-Photograph, Berlin.

2nd Juli 1888, Steglitz. Wedding present from my boss, J. C. Schaarwächter, (+) court photographer, Berlin.

Steglitz is a district of Berlin, presumably where the wedding took place. The (+) indicates that Schaarwächter had died.

Julius Cornelius Schaarwächter was a very eminent photographer in Berlin, with his studio right opposite the Reichstag building. He was born on 14th July 1847 and died 14. October 1904.

Hope this helps.

JTD
I can confirm what JTD said. k.u.k. stands for "koeniglich und kaiserlich" meaning belonging to the king and emperor.

Uhralt

Last edited:
Reactions: new2clocks

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I can confirm what JTD said. k.u.k. stands for "koeniglich und kaiserlich" meaning belonging to the king and emperor.

Uhralt
Indeed it does, but I didn't want to confuse with too much detail, so left it just as 'court'. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

JTD

TimWK

Nov 20, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Country
Region
To everybody who responded Thank You.
To Micam100, yes there are holes in the top & bottom where finials were present. I agree that it looks good as is and I will probably not replace them unless someone has a picture of what was there. When I took the movement apart, I noticed that all the parts were marked the same.
To Uhralt & JTD, What exactly does "koeniglich und kaiserlich" meaning belonging to the king and emperor actually mean?
Per Micam100's request I'm attaching pictures of the pendulum mount.

Best Regards IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
To Uhralt & JTD, What exactly does "koeniglich und kaiserlich" meaning belonging to the king and emperor actually mean?
It simply means that Schaarwächter was a court photographer (to the royal and imperial court). It makes for a clumsy translation and doesn't really add anything to 'court', because of course the court was the 'royal and imperial' court. That was why I left out k.u.k in my translation, but it seems by the angst it has caused that I shouldn't have. My apologies.

If you look on line you will see that Schaarwächter took photos of all sorts of princesses and other minor royals.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

JTD

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
Some time ago I wrote about a clock manufacturer, which we call PraBorussia. Although more and more it proves that this is Fortuna Freiburg.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/want-t...weight-driven-wall-clock.150613/#post-1476934

The translation of the inscription on the back provided by JTD fits very well with the outline of the history of Fortuna Freiburg being discovered. It ceased operation in 1888. The highest mechanism number I have ever seen exceeds just over 45 xxx. This one is a tad earlier. It could have been created at the beginning of 1888. Very valuable material for dating this manufacturer. Thanks a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-