• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Another ebay frustration

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Just got another bomb from an ebay seller. Seller reported that he tested the watch, and it ran for 20 hours in his presence . It doesn't like me. It didn't run for a single second when I received it today in the mail. I'm done with ebay, and since most individual sellers' websites gouge the hell out of you, I may be close to done altogether. Please share your sad stories if you'd like.

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
Lee, I am sorry for your bomb. Just about all my purchases have been from the bay. It is about the only place I can get what I am looking for at a low price. It is, buyer beware though. I know sooner or later I will get bit.
My sad story is the lack of high quality pocket watches at the Regionals. It is zip at the 3 i have attended. I have heard that the better watches are quietly traded among acquaintances

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
If it's not as described, you know that you can return it for a full refund, right? You're out of some time and disappointed but you can get your money back.

Reactions: musicguy

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Yes, thanks, I know. Just too much of this happening lately with no explanation. The sellers? The mails? Bad karma? Don't know and don't care at this point.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Only buy locally and try to avoid Ebay.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Must be Gremlins i only posted one remark in thread.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Seller reported that he tested the watch, and it ran for 20 hours in his presence .
If you take the seller at their word and the watch came broken it is possible it was damaged in the mail.
I just bought a watch this week that said it was running and it wasn't
so I do understand your stress. I'm not sure what a seller has to gain in telling someone
a watch works when it doesn't because they will get bad feedback and
probably the watch returned as well. Have you contacted them and let them know? What is their feedback score?

Rob

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
If you take the seller at their word and the watch came broken it is possible it was damaged in the mail.
I just bought a watch this week that said it was running and it wasn't
so I do understand your stress. I'm not sure what a seller has to gain in telling someone
a watch works when it doesn't because they will get bad feedback and
probably the watch returned as well. Have you contacted them and let them know? What is their feedback score?

Rob
You make good points and ask good questions, Rob. The seller has all positive reviews, and while he doesn't allow returns, I doubt he's trying to foist junk on me. So that leaves bad karma or, as you suggest, the mail as the culprit. As I say, I've just had it whatever the problem.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
and while he doesn't allow returns, I doubt he's trying to foist junk on me.
They only don't allow returns if the item isn't damaged when you receive it.
I say no returns in my auctions but if something was not as described I will
always take it back. I have 100% positive feedback too.

Rob

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Just got another bomb from an ebay seller. Seller reported that he tested the watch, and it ran for 20 hours in his presence . It doesn't like me. It didn't run for a single second when I received it today in the mail. I'm done with ebay, and since most individual sellers' websites gouge the hell out of you, I may be close to done altogether. Please share your sad stories if you'd like.
Lee,
I don't think post this should be allowed on the MB because it just invites buyers to bash sellers.

I sell a lot on eBay and have never had a problem that could not be handled satisfactory.

With eBay's & PayPal policy's it is impossible to get screwed...

That to me is the problem. There are alot or unscrupulous buyers who try to get items for 1/2 price, etc..... Lie, make false claims,steal parts from movements. I could go on & on.......:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HTomas

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
#1-was the watch packaged carefully? What shape was the packaging in on arrival? Compared to what you received, how close were the pictures to the condition shown in the pictures? I have never expected miracles off of Ebay but have had some bad experiences at marts where the sellers were definitely unscrupulous. At any mart, watch for the gold scrappers, they are like pitbulls, you can't display your items fast enough for them and then they try to cheat you.

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
if i am at all concerned about an item not working when it arrives at the seller i take a video of it running, along with photos of the packing.

if it arrives not working, it was damaged in shipping and becomes a usps/ups claim. i am happy to assist my buyers by providing video and photos to the shipping company (even though it's a bit of a PITA).

the only time eBay did not work for me as a seller was when someone bought something not advertised as all original, took it to a convention and freaked out when people told her it wasn't all original. she skipped anything related to discussion and went directly to calling me a scammer.

video, lots of clear photos, and underpromising while over-delivering in item descriptions is the way to avoid hassles.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I don't think post this should be allowed on the MB because it just invites buyers to bash sellers.
There is no problem with this thread as long as specific sellers are not mentioned. A general discussion like this is fine and can even be educational for buyers.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
There is no problem with this thread as long as specific sellers are not mentioned. A general discussion like this is fine and can even be educational for buyers.
Dave,

OK,

Fine, Can you address the 2 separate topics being discussed in a thread " Another eBay loser" ?

What does the tread have to do with Regional' s not offering higher grade watches?

This is a forum for discussing Pocket watches, not a forum for complaining about someone skill or ignorance in buying watches .

That should be another forum that the NAWCC won;t allow because of the Legal ramification associated with accusing sellers of dishonest practices.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
This is a forum for discussing Pocket watches, not a forum for complaining about someone skill or ignorance in buying watches .
Disagree, Jim. Educating buyers and sellers so that they become better buyers and sellers is education and is part of our mission. It certainly does belong in this forum. You can choose to denigrate it as 'complaining' or you can help.

George Frick

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2016
Country
Region
There are many good sellers on eBay. It is the way I have built my collection. I review a seller to see feedback and how long they have been selling. I ask questions. I track my preferred sellers. With only a little work it is a good place to buy. My opinion only.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Lee,

I sell a lot on eBay and have never had a problem that could not be handled satisfactory.

With eBay's & PayPal policy's it is impossible to get screwed...

That to me is the problem. There are alot or unscrupulous buyers who try to get items for 1/2 price, etc..... Lie, make false claims,steal parts from movements. I could go on & on.......:mad:
You have a point, Jim, I'm sure, but I'm purely a buyer. And this is the second such issue in a row that I've had, plus perhaps two or three more this year alone.

Actually, in all cases, the sellers have been fair, including this last one. I believe the watch was running when the guy sent it. After hearing from him, I'm blaming the mail, but that still doesn't incline me to give ebay another chance. I'm weary of the returns I need to initiate.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Lee,
You should be thankful that eBay provides a return process ( at no cost to you) to take care of items not represented honestly or Damaged in transit, etc.

Maybe your odds are running low and things will change for you in the future.:D

Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
Country
Region
Dave,

OK,

Fine, Can you address the 2 separate topics being discussed in a thread " Another eBay loser" ?

What does the tread have to do with Regional' s not offering higher grade watches?

That should be another forum that the NAWCC won;t allow because of the Legal ramification associated with accusing sellers of dishonest practices.
Agreed with Jim.

Want to talk about denigration? Let's talk about denigration, starting with the title of this thread.

As an ebay seller I feel targeted, mis-characterized and VERY denigrated by the title and demeanor of this thread.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
I would be inclined to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, until/unless there is good reason to believe he is less than honest.

I don't see it as ebay's fault. I find that watches bought from any source, or repaired at any repairer, if transported through the mail, are at risk of dying in transit. No matter how well they are packaged. And probably no matter how carefully they are handled en route.

It's just something that happens, it's all a part of the game. If one day I decide I can no longer stand it, maybe I'll switch to collecting nice pretty quartz watches.

Last edited:

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Sorry to have offended some readers. On the other hand, if you're an ebay seller, you may want to hear the gripes of a formerly faithful buyer and maybe address them. I'm sure there are other frustrated folks who might be persuaded to reconsider after reading a balanced defense of ebay and its sellers (which topspin partially delivers in #22). Me? as I say, I'm tired of returning stuff.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
This is a good thread. Interesting to hear the different opinions and veiws.

Christopher Burris

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2010
Country
Region
I’ve never sold anything on eBay, but I have built 98% of my collection from eBay. I have “won” some junk, but that was 99% my own ignorance and not at all misrepresented by the seller. On the other hand, in my mind, I’ve built quite a collection and have gotten some very collectible pieces.

I think if you contact your seller he will work it out with you…to me quitting eBay for that at this point would be cutting of my nose to spite my face.

Good luck and happy hunting,

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
As an ebay seller I feel targeted, mis-characterized and VERY denigrated by the title and demeanor of this thread.
Sorry that you feel that way. I'm actually surprised that you feel denigrated or targeted.
You shouldn't stress when someone here is unhappy with an eBay seller
because if you do things right, and have positive feedback this thread has nothing to do with
you. I don't believe it will sour too many people on Ebay because most of us use it.
I bet you dislike some of the other ebay sellers that may give
you a bad name by their actions. The ones that say a 992 is Rare or
they overhype something.

Threads like this flush out questions about
how to deal with these situations that are going to happen.

BUT I do understand where you are coming from and I did change the title of this thread

Rob

Reactions: Christopher Burris

Marty101

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2007
Niagara Falls,N.Y.
Country
Just a thought here...any pocket watch that only ran 20 hours can't be in great shape. It needs some work.

On the other hand,it might be only a little work,and worth the time/money. If you clean her up,maybe replace a mainspring,you might have a winner. I know that's not for everyone. But if you are looking for deals,ebay is the only place I go.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
On the other hand,it might be only a little work,and worth the time/money. If you clean her up,maybe replace a mainspring,you might have a winner. I know that's not for everyone. But if you are looking for deals,ebay is the only place I go.
This is what I do, many times it's just a main spring and it's still a
beautiful movement in a beautiful case.

Rob

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
Living where I am, if I didn't buy online I wouldn't have any watches.

Over the past 20 years I have had a couple of issues with eBay sellers, but for me buying (and occasionally selling) on eBay has been a good and pleasant experience. Additionally, I have never had an issue with a watch being lost or damaged during delivered by USPS or FedEx.

As a buyer, CAVEAT EMPTOR, should always be first and foremost. Do your homework on the seller and if you have an uneasy feeling, simply walk away. No one forces anyone to place a bid on any auction site.

Just my 2 cents - that and $1.50 might get you a cup of coffee.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I've generally had good luck on Ebay. While there have been a few issues, mostly on things other than watches, I usually feel pretty good about what I've purchased. I generally shy away from certain things that I see as potential red-flags. For instance, when a seller conveniently (Or so it seems.) leaves out an important image, like calling something solid karat gold but not showing an image of the hallmark. I doubt that someone including the rather ubiquitous "rare" description gets too many to bite on it. Otherwise, we'd probably have a deeper market of buyers right now. But, then again, I suppose it only takes one.
For me it goes like this: 1.) Listen to that little voice. 2.) If seller isn't able, or won't, state clearly an answer to an important question, WALK. No, RUN. 3.) If a "watch guy" who one would think would be able to wind a watch as easily as you can, says, "I don't know if it runs", BOLT! Or allow for broken staff + in price offered. 4.) Go right to the negative feedback and check to see if there's a pattern of the seller doing something that would drive you nuts in the end. This includes rude responses to reasonable feedback verbiage, especially if feedback was "Neutral" not "Negative". 5.) Treat buying from some states in the US like the item is coming from Nigeria (I won't say which states, but I have my own experiences of perceived trends.). Like my brother used to tell me, "Don't put your head on something that looks like a chopping block." YMMV. Cheers all.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
You know, MrRoundel, all your suggestions are good ones that seasoned ebay buyers apply--or should. Sometimes even folks who have been around the block a few times walk into a trap. I did so not long ago, and, again, the watch that I received didn't work, so in that case returning it was a good thing because I bought something I shouldn't have as a seasoned collector. But my gripe in this thread seems to boil down mostly to the fact that I've gotten an inordinate number of watches that don't work once I receive them though they are reported to work by the sellers. However you want to look at it, that's frustrating. If you had to return every other item you got from Amazon because it didn't work as expected, you'd find that unacceptable, wouldn't you?

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I have found that to some sellers, working means when they shake them they tick or run for an hour. If they said the watch was cleaned, oiled and regulated and it didn't work then there is something wrong. Contact the seller and return the watch, that's all you have to do, Lee. If he is a good seller with 100% feedback, he probably won't have an issue.

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
I have had good and bad luck on flea bay. Bid expecting issues and never get into biddind wars. If a seller is honest, he will go out of his way to accurately describe even the most minute flaws Caviate Emptor, let the buyer beware

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
However you want to look at it, that's frustrating. If you had to return every other item you got from Amazon because it didn't work as expected, you'd find that unacceptable, wouldn't you?
I don't disagree with any of what you said. We have to base our actions on our own experiences. Lots of folks do business with people in "MrRoundel's Blackballed States", and do just fine. But me, I go by me. In fact, there I went. :eek: ;) Cheers.

John Pavlik

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2001
Green Bay, Wi
Country
Region
Lee, If I may suggest... Take break from buying ...We all get a bit confident after buying... Do we really read as through as we think we do... I know I don’t ... Do we really study the photos? almost every item I have bough on ebay in the last 23 years Has had a little something I did not notice.. I have a extensive buying and selling experience on ebay and, save a couple if issues, it has been a very good market place... Last minute bidders
Tend to make mistakes... Most times we have 7 days to view items... How many times to we read and re-read the description ? study the photos ? Again just suggestions ...

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Some of my best buys have been on eBay, especially from sellers who were clueless and posted bad pictures. When I jump on these I assume there is a chance I will be the one who is getting the wrong end but so far I have been very happy with my results.

When I do get something that falls below my expectations I always go back and check and it almost always some thing I missed. I have about 500 buy on eBay with two returns for items in which the description was wrong and in a way that prevented me from the intended use. I returned the items one to a no return seller, and got my money back.

Overall I admire and respect eBay sellers. I gave up selling about ten years ago after encountering a stupid buyer who began the episode by reporting me without any prior contact. Ebay said if this happened more they would suspend me, I replied I was suspending myself and it has been ten years. It is just too much work for the return and I don't need the aggravation.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
A very interesting thread and good to read different perspectives. My own experience buying on ebay (for 24 years) has been overwhelmingly positive. Maybe my expectations are too low? Here are some "rules" I try to follow: if a watch is said to run then only assume that it ticks for a short while and that the staff is ok, never bid extra for "recently serviced", and never assume that what you can't see in the pictures is problem free. I have other "rules" but they are "proprietary".

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Agreed with Jim.
Want to talk about denigration? Let's talk about denigration, starting with the title of this thread.

the OP didn't title his thread "eBay sellers suck"... he said he was frustrated with a recent run of bad luck when purchasing from ebay... and wondered out loud if it was "The sellers? The mails? Bad karma? Don't know and don't care at this point."

that is certainly not slamming ebay sellers across the board, and not even bashing the ones he's interacted with.

if you're not in that subset, how are you denigrated?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country