Another E Howard 00 Tower Clock Question

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Russkcpa, Jul 31, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    Just curious
    Have my 00 Tower Clock movement up and running
    It has a fine tick , however I notice the pendulum swing from side to side is quite short (perhaps just a few inches)
    I have seen other 00 movements with a more pronounced swing
    I am thinking I am not running it with enough weight ?
    Could it be the suspension spring ?
    Currently I am running it with a .012 spring
    I have around 55 pounds (straight drop from the barrel)
    Thanks for any help
    Russ

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been running my 00 double and triple compounded on 85 pounds. Mine runs very well double compounded, triple is a bit more difficult.

I would be looking for wear in the pinions and wear in the escapment given the short pendulum motion you are seeing. I would think that on a straight drop of 55 pounds it should run very well, assuming pinions are not worn, escapement is not rutted or ground back to remove ruts, and bushings/pivots are good... IMO

3. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    Thanks Jim
    Sorry-but I'm not exactly sure what double or triple compounded means
    Is it that the weight does not hang straight down ?
    Russ

4. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russ, if the weight is hanging via a pulley and the weight cable end ties to the frame, then we would say the weight was "compounded" The net of this is you have 1/2 the force (weight) driving the mechanism but it will run 2 times as long. If a second pulley is added to the cable it would be said to be double compounded. I will see if I can find a drawing, much easier to see than put into words, by the way I was incorrect in saying double and triple compounded on my clock. Actually my clock runs normally "compounded" and it runs marginally "double compounded". I have never tried it tripled....I badly misspoke...senior moment no doubt:confused:

5. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    Thanks Jim
    I know exactly what you mean
    I've seen what you are talking about in gallery clocks
    Obviously, if these 00 movements were in street clocks the weight system had to be compounded
    Russ

6. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russ,

it sounds to me as though you have no LOCK on either the receiving pallet or the discharge pallet, or both. If the advancing escape wheel tooth advances to the impulse face(s) of the pallet(s), that can result in a very small pendulum amplitude, or a clock that won't run!

7. tsmith

tsmith Registered User

Nov 5, 2008
    Geologist
    Cypress, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, how much weight are you running to get the clock to work compounded?

Thanks,
    Tom

8. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005

Doug
    Unfortunately I don't know what a "lock" is
    I can take a picture of the receiving pallet and discharge pallet
    Russ

9. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 85 pounds on it, compounded it is more than enough weight, double compounded it is not enough.....

10. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

11. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 doug sinclair, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    If you look closely at the pallets, you will notice the "impulse" face of each pallet is the angled, polished surface at the lower end of each pallet that the escape wheel teeth slide over to give impulse to the two pallets. To check to see if you have "lock" on the receiving and discharge pallets, you' ll need to take the pendulum off and manipulate to anchor slowly, by hand. If the advancing escape wheel tooth lands on the impulse face of the pallet rather than "locking" on the vertical face of the pallet ABOVE the impulse face, then you have no lock. There could be a lot of reasons for this. Worn or damaged escape wheel teeth. Worn or damaged pallets. Distorted anchor. Pallet depthing requiring adjusting at the pallet arbor. Other possibilities come to mind, but this will get you started.

The image on the right shows a club-toothed watch escape wheel tooth during impulse as it slides across the angled pallet face. The image on the left shows an escape wheel tooth "locked" on the vertical locking surface of the pallet stone. As the advancing escape wheel teeth come to rest on the pallets, they should come to rest on this locking surface, NOT on the impulse surface!

Attached Files: