Bulle ANOTHER COMPLETE BULLE

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by jkfabulos, May 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    I BOUGHT THIS FOR A GIVE AWAY PRICE DUE TO THE DIAL BEING IN SUCH BAD CONDITION. WHEN I LOOKED AT THE MOVEMENT IT APPEARED AS NEW WITH NO SIGNS OF WEAR, CORROSION OR DIRT. INSTALLED NEW BATTERY AND IT RUNS AND KEEPS GOOD TIME. 16 INCH DIAMETER CASE.

BL4.jpg BL1.jpg BL3.jpg

Steve Murphy likes this.
  2. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    Jim

Another great restoration.

Which method did you use to restore the dial ? It looks very good.

I have experimented with using wet transfer on a standard inject printer. Its a simple and cheap method. The results are reasonable, but don't look as good as yours.

Regards,

Peter

3. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    The dial was done with paint. I did not do this one and used a professional.
    Jim

4. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    Thanks Jim

Whoever painted the dial did a very good job.

I thought I'd share my "on a budget method" using wet transfer and a inject printer. In the attached I have actually printed the restored image on the back of the original. This is from an Bulle XA model with a diameter of around 14 cm. The base is just sprayed with an enamel-type paint and the wet transfer applied. The transfer is protected with a number of coats of clear varnish.

I have also used the method to restore glass dials that were originally reverse painted.

I have no idea about the longevity of the wet transfer method, but the ink would almost certainly not stand up to direct sunlight.

The wet transfer method is no substitute for a professional job - but may be a viable option for a less precious clock.

Regards,

Peter

Bulle dial 1.JPG Bulle dial 2.JPG

5. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Always interesting to see how others approach the restoration process.
    I agree spending the money to have a dial painted is hard to justify in all circumstances.
    Jim