• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Another cheap craigslist ship's clock

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
this one ain't no Chelsea, but for 35 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

gA3yoe.jpg

I have my doubts that "Hoffritz" is really even a manufacturer?

eMoQf1.jpg

the movement is a Hermle 132-071 with pallet escapement. looks like the date is 1981. I bought it not working, no key, and broken glass. I pulled the movement out and oiled it. I removed the escapement and looked it over. I put it all back together and nothing. I moved the hands around a little and BAM! there was a little click and the clock started working! what the heck? I guess a gear was jammed up somehow. anyway, it is also ticking away. it seems to run slow and no matter what hour the clock in on, it strikes 2 on the hour. I adjusted the fast slow/lever to full fast, but it still seems to lose time pretty quickly. also, as I mentioned above, the glass in the face is broken out. I thought it would be an easy fix, but the door is crimped together. maybe I can find a parts clock to steal the face from? this one will go into our vacation/Airbnb house as a decoration. if someone swipes it, I won't be out much of anything.

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
If this model has a removable spring barrel without dis-assembling the clock also check that the mainspring is not gummed up or dry. Could be losing power there too.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
just wanted to report that this clock is still ticking away. I might have been a little premature on the losing time issue. for the first 40 minutes or so, the clock seemed to lose about 3 minutes in the first 40 that it was running. I ran the fast lever all the way to the left and after a week it gained about 2 minutes. that is definitely something I can work with. I moved the lever back a small touch on Sunday when I rewound this clock and it seems to be keeping good time.

apparently the chime is working correctly as well. from what I have read, the Hermle 132-071 is made to chime 2 bells on the hour ever hour and one on the half. I was going to order a crystal from timesavers yesterday, but I didn't because of an issue I had with an order from a couple weeks ago that they lost. long story but the good news is that she is running good and I have almost nothing invested in it.