Another balance cock

daddypea

Aug 10, 2010
Plymouth, England
www.spiritpreacher.co.uk
Country
I got this in a box of bits and pieces and has a balance cock that i have never come across before. I have the watch working perfectly now and it would originally have had a hunter case though that has probably been scrapped for the metal (phillistines). There are no markings on it other than Swiss made and 17 jewels and had a plain dial so no help there. From the look and the weight i would have said a reasonably expensive watch too.

Attachments

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Re: Another blanace cock

I can't help you as to the maker but the type of regulator is called the "snail" type based on the shape of the adjustment pawl.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country

I assume your point of interest is the regulator rather than the balance cock?

As Richie says, it's a snail cam regulator which was invented by Gedeon Thommen, who in 1853 founded his company in the Swiss town of Waldenburg. They manufactured watch movements under the Thommen and Revue-Thommen names.

I hav two watches with this regulator, and indeed very similar movements to yours. One is signed Limit (on the dial) and the other Syren, and it is very likely that both movements were supplied by Thommen.

Attachments

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country

I would say that the Nautilus (Snail) regulator isn't all that uncommon:

Agassiz
Longines
Omega

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country

I would say that the Nautilus (Snail) regulator isn't all that uncommon:
The Nautilus appears only on Goliath watches :D

Your're right, Kent. Thesnail cam appears on those makes you list quite often, plus Revue Thommen (who were prolific) and of course patek Philippe ;) In fact, I probably see more on PPs than all the rest put together :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller