Anon white dial, very unusual movement for age

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by novicetimekeeper, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a real oddball.

No identifying marks found so far. Very heavy iron dial suggesting early but the style suggests post 1830 and Northern England/Scotland.

The movement is extremely unusual. Having knopped and ringed pillars makes it look more like 1730 than 1830 but there is no sign they don't belong together.

Never seen a movement like it, real provincial quirkiness, not something you expect post 1830.

It came with two brass cased lead weights which is why I bought it. It was in auction in Scotland, I was going to leave it up there and sell in the next auction, just have the weights and pulleys delivered, but it intrigued me so had the lot shipped.

DSC_1247.JPG DSC_1251.JPG DSC_1250.JPG DSC_1249.JPG DSC_1248.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is missing a date wheel, which explains one of those holes under the snail but not the other.

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is an odd one. The dial certainly looks Scottish but as you say the movement appears to be a good deal earlier but I don't recall seeing one with plates shaped like that at the base before.

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

There is absolutely no evidence the dial and movement have not always been together, which does indeed make it very strange. The dial itself is very heavy gauge iron, and the painting a very high quality. Date wise it seems a conundrum, by 1830 I would expect to see a pretty standard movement, everything about this is non standard, the plates, the pillars, the rack design, the rack release, the repeat mechanism. It is the most peculiar juxtaposition but I can't see how it isn't original. All very odd.

5. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 3 Scottish fusees. All 3 have very robust movements, and are a little "different" than English.

6. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe some dials were made in Scotland, that they weren't just painted to order in Birmingham. This may be one, the gauge of the iron is much more than I'd expect from a Birmingham dial. The movement could have been made there too, I don't know much about Scottish clockmaking.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A Birmingham dial would also probably have a false plate to attach to the movement.

Uhralt

8. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Falseplates had gone by 1830 pretty much everywhere I think. This doesn't follow the multi coloured look of later Scottish dials, it could still be Northern England, unfortunately I can't find a name on it, will have a look with UV.