anon 8" fusee dial clock, date?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by novicetimekeeper, Mar 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the other clock I bought this week, at the same auction.

It is my second 8" drop dial and a similar age I think to the first somewhere in the third quarter of the 19th century. This one has a flat surround sometimes seen on 8" dials, not the profiled surround we usually see on dial clocks.

The really odd thing about this clock is that I was the under bidder on it in another auction last November, and here it turned up at a different auction house with nothing changed. (I assume the broken suspension is not a new fault)

I left a commission bid higher than last time and was rather surprised to get it for quite a bit less than the hammer price it originally achieved in November.

I have no idea why it would come back to auction, perhaps somebody died and this had never got worked on, but that's quite a quick turn around for probate.

anon flat surr 8 inch 6.jpg anon flat surr 8 inch 5.jpg anon flat surr 8 inch 4.jpg anon flat surr 8 inch 3.jpg anon flat surr 8 inch 2.jpg anon flat surr 8 inch 1.jpg

2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a nice mid-Victorian clock (1850-1860 my guess). I wouldn't mind having that clock. It's untouched, and the movement plates look thick.

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Novice, you are running amuck, again! You keep coming up with things I want and don't see in this country. Good buys on both I think!

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks, we shall have to reserve judgment till they turn up one day, but I'm not unhappy so far.

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe 'chin' dial clock as opposed to 'drop' but excusable on an 8" dial clock which are uncommon, I'd agree 1880ish looks about right for the movement.

You're going to run out of space for dial clocks too, if you need somewhere to store some let me know.

8. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hmm, run out of space...............I think after longcase clocks and then dial clocks, most probably Nick will start an pocket watch collection :)

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I already have a few, started when I thought it was the only way to get a verge escapement. Now I have a few of those.

I consolidated my pocket watch collection last year and sold off a few, now the ones left all have some sort of connection with me, through the signatures on the movements. I'm not so keen though, I prefer the presence of the clocks, and certainly with the longcase the signature has more to do with a maker than a retailer.

You can blame my interest in dial clocks on Peter the guy who restores most of my clocks. He is at least as knowledgeable as Ron Rose on the subject because they are his first love, and visiting his house so often I have come to love them too. It helps that I have him to restore the movements, Scott to do the cases, and Cindy to do the dials. They make one hell of a team.

10. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This one also turned up this morning they were both at the same auction.

Now surprisingly of my two purchases this is the least original.

I think it is on its second movement. The surround has a new position sitting lower on the backbox to accommodate the taller movement. The old peg holes were filled, the top strip on the back of the surround that locates the surround on the backbox was moved up. The dial has an enlarged and slightly oval winding hole.

The backbox side now fouled the winding barrel so was gouged out, making the side perilously thin to take a peg.

The movement is chain, like my other 8", but it has fixings for gut on both the barrel and the fusee. I think this was originally gut and that change may have needed further gouging of the side.

So not all that original, but all that was done a long time ago. The dial has a number of service dates on it from the 1880s. The dial and case need work but it will look very happy up on the wall.

11. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw the chiseled out side of the box. But since the case is so small, I don't think that's too wild.
    If there are repair dates to the 1880s, you figure subtract about 20 years for the actual age.
    Maybe with the original movement the cable broke or something, so instead of repair someone just put a new movement in. But the original movement was probably roughly the same size, probably a different wheel configuration.
    You would have had to do something with the pegs anyway, the knobs are too large, as usual they are probably replacements anyway.
    So looks like your case man has some more cosmetic work to do. He will make it better in a jiff. I still like the clock overall.
    By the way, I have a fusee movement from about 1900 that looks about the same as this one, squarish plates with the spring barrel about midway up on the side.
    You have a knack for finding dial clocks that have been modified. Unlike many longcase clocks, fusees are generally not changed around.
    Maybe now you know why the clock went to auction again. That's why sometimes we have to be wary of clock auctions, many times they're not the consignor's "keepers"

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it quite possible it did go back to auction for this, but I don't have a problem with the clock at all. Only one of the pegs is a replacement and that is a recent replacement.

I think the amount of work done to keep this clock going is impressive, and obviously worked because it got is as far as this a century or more later.