Anniversary clock runs 45 minutes and stops.

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Leo Blasi, Oct 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leo Blasi

Leo Blasi Registered User

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Kern anniversary clock, it runs 45 minutes and stops (it is consistently 45 minutes, must have restarted it 30 times by now. The main spring is either fully wound or it is frozen, cannot get it to move with the key. Everything else seems to be functioning normally.

I live in North Central Kansas, cannot find anyone reasonably close that works on clocks, and I have several of them. So I decided to take a crack at learning to fix them my self. Can't be much more difficult than turbine engines can they?

Any suggestions on a starter tool kit would be appreciated. My main interest would be 400 day and wall and mantle clocks although cuckoos fascinate me as well.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll move this over to the 400 day forum for more response.
    In the mean time, you can start here.

3. Leo Blasi

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I'll get the hang of navigating here soon, there is a lot of information here.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum, Leo! Could you upload a few pictures, good ones of the front and the back plate?

One thing you'll like have to confirm is the clock in beat? It ticks and tocks as the pendulum rotates side to side. After you hear a tick going one way, note how far the pendulum goes past that point. Then on the other side of rotation, see how far it goes past the other tick. Those distances, known as over swing, must be the same.

Here's a little bit on setting the beat:

Beat Setting?

Kurt

5. Leo Blasi

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Kurt, Thanks. It appears that clockwise overswing is about 60 degrees and counter-clockwise is about 115 degrees. So I will watch the video on beat setting and get that set.
    Here are a few pix. let me know if you need more.

1023192017.jpg 1023192017a.jpg 1023192017b.jpg 1023192017c.jpg 1023192018.jpg 1023192018a.jpg 1023192018b.jpg

If I can get it running, I will be looking for a new base plate as well.

6. Leo Blasi

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Okay, got the beat set to within 2 degrees. Now to see how she runs.

7. Leo Blasi

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    11 hours on and she is still going. My first clock repair is a success!! Thanks for the assistance.

Wayne A likes this.