Anniversary clock? Looking for info

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Sharon Jarrett, Aug 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sharon Jarrett

Sharon Jarrett New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I came across an old(er) clock that I have know idea about. This was in a relatives home. It is rather dusty and the paint on the bottom is severly peeling up. It looks to be needing some repair. Other than that I really know nothing about this clock or if it is worth fixing up. 20190805_171518.jpg 20190805_171536.jpg 20190805_171518.jpg 20190805_171536.jpg 20190805_171613.jpg 20190805_171646.jpg 20190805_171742.jpg 20190805_171831.jpg 20190805_171854.jpg 20190805_171518.jpg 20190805_171536.jpg 20190805_171613.jpg 20190805_171646.jpg 20190805_171742.jpg 20190805_171831.jpg 20190805_171854.jpg I am attaching pictures

2. victor miranda

victor miranda Registered User

Jan 13, 2017
    computer programming stuff
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    your photos are quite nice.
    the clock is attractive also.

you asked about 'worth' and that is a call you get to make.
    I think a replacement suspension spring is cheap.
    so I would clean the clock and replace the suspension spring.

the prices for such clocks on the bay vary widely...
    however that is one place you can go to assess its value.

victor

Sharon Jarrett likes this.
  3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! The top part of the clock looks pretty much OK...can't see how dirty the actual movement is. But that bottom really took a beating. At this point, probably not worth trying to repaint it, but just clean all the flakiness off.

It appears this is a Hall Craft clock (he's the importer) and is plate #1212 in the repair guide. Since the suspension spring is broken and twisted, it will need to be replaced. According to the guide, the thickness of the spring is one of two sizes - 0.0035 (I have a note that it might really be 0.0036) and the other size is 0.0038". The lighter pendulum gets the thinner spring. Unfortunately, the repair guide doesn't provide info on what the weights of the pendulums are.

Cleaning the movement takes some specific steps. It can't be done with the clock together...it has to be taken apart. Note that if you go down that path, be sure and let the main spring power down carefully, otherwise severe damage to the clock and to you could result. A tool called a letdown chuck is needed to control the letdown process. The company Timesavers sells these chucks:

Welcome to TimeSavers | Worldwide distributor of clock parts and repair material

Kurt

4. Sharon Jarrett

Aug 5, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Victor, how do I know and where can I find the suspension spring? Would it be easy for me to replace or should I take it to clock repair shop?
    The bottom of the base was what looks to be hand painted but it is peeling off. Should I try to save it, how would I do so; or not worry about it then what would be recommended to remove what is remaining.
    Thank you again.

5. Sharon Jarrett

Aug 5, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
  6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To remove the peeling paint on the bottom, you'll need something like acetone or paint thinner to cut through the paint. You'll need to remove the base to more easily work on it. Something you should check on is if there's any wood or something that is sandwiched between the upper and bottom layers of brass. If there's wood, dousing the whole bottom in acetone/thinner might the wood soak up the liquid which would swell and distort the brass. Lately I've been using a paint thinner in gel form which lets me paint it on and control where it goes. After letting the thinner sit for many minutes, I can use a cloth to wipe it off. You might need to try it for a while and see what it does. If it doesn't work, try a longer time.

As for the suspension spring, if you only want to just see if you can get the clock to run without a lot of investment, you might try contacting the Horolovar Company. Let me know exactly what you have...he can send you a completely built suspension unit that you just fit back in the clock. Otherwise, you'll need very small screw drivers to take apart the top/bottom blocks to insert a new spring. They can help figure out if you have a light or heavy pendulum.

The Horolovar Company Online Store. We are the 400 day clock people!

Replacing the spring is the first step, then you'll need to be sure the "beat" is set evenly on the clock. There are a few other things that will need to be dealt with once you get there.

Kurt

Kurt

7. victor miranda

victor miranda Registered User

Jan 13, 2017
    computer programming stuff
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this the the place to order suspension wires and other a few other 400 day clock bits. (tis where I order)
    The Horolovar Company Online Store. We are the 400 day clock people!

If you have mechanical/repair skills, it is an easy repair...
    Getting the clock going can be a bit harder, as some clock go once put in beat.
    others... take some coaxing.

ever done any clock repairs?

victor

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sharon -

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe there's a chapter of the national organization that could provide some guidance.

Kurt

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not a great clock to learn on. If i were you i would find a repair person.

10. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the goal is to simply see if this clock will run, that is very doable (doesn’t require any special tools or knowledge) and not expensive. Repair the suspension unit, rehang the pendulum and put the clock in beat. This forum can readily help you reach that goal.