ANKERUHR Mantel Clock

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Acquired this mantel clock today. It was listed as non working condition but seller had no key to check if it would run. So it was cheap. The lady said it belonged to her parents, mother had died and father was 84 with allzheimer's and she was selling off his stuff. Says Ankeruhr on the face plate. Number: 147324 on the back label. Label I guess is in german, clock may have been made in Austria. Label says: made in 55. It has a floating balance. Westminster mainspring and chiming mainspring are good but the time/going train mainspring just rotates in either direction, no clicking and very little tension. I assume the spring is broken?? I hope timesavers sells mainsprings for this old ball clock. I find very little information on this one, when I do a google search. Clock 1-1.jpg Clock 2-1.jpg Clock 3-1.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Your clock was made by Uhrenfabrik Suevia, in Sindelfingen. The company started in the early
went out business in the early 200s.

Label says: made in 55.
Well actually that's not what it says. The label has two spaces, one for 'built' and one for 'packed'. The 55, which had been stamped over both lines, might indicate the year - it would be in keeping with the style of the case - but it may equally well be the stamp indentifying the quality controller. You see these circular QC stamps a lot.

There should be no problem getting a new spring, once you have measured the old one.

JTD

PS New2clocks kindly found the earlier thread on this make of clock. From the photo posted there I can see the same label and the circular stamp is clearly the QC's control stamp and does not refer to the year. Nevertheless, 1955-60 is a good estimate for your clock.

Reactions: legosnell

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Your clock was made by Uhrenfabrik Suevia, in Sindelfingen. The company started in the early

Well actually that's not what it says. The label has two spaces, one for 'built' and one for 'packed'. The 55, which had been stamped over both lines, might indicate the year - it would be in keeping with the style of the case - but it may equally well be the stamp indentifying the quality controller. You see these circular QC stamps a lot.

There should be no problem getting a new spring, once you have measured the old one.

JTD

PS New2clocks kindly found the earlier thread on this make of clock. From the photo posted there I can see the same label and the circular stamp is clearly the QC's control stamp and does not refer to the year. Nevertheless, 1955-60 is a good estimate for your clock.
I did a google translation german to english for Eingebaut: (built in)
not sure what the translation for Verpackt is? Kontroll-nr is Control Number: 147324

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country

JTD

I see what your talking about now. I just saw another one of these labels on the internet and it had a 1 where mine has a 55. Would make you think that the 55 is not year when made. I also read somewhere that the company changed the escapement to floating balance in 1953.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I don't see a floating balance like the Hermle floating balance. Is this a different type?
I'll try and get a picture of it, it looks much smaller to me but I haven't removed the movement yet and can't really see much of it. Looks similar to this one. Maybe it's not a floating balance at all, I do see a balance wheel.

Goldanker Westminster Chime | NAWCC Forums

Last edited:

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
interesting design on the movement. Looks like the plate has been slotted, so that the mainsprings and barrels can be removed and serviced without having to separate the plates. I like it since I have a going train mainspring issue with this clock. I think the mainspring must be broken but I'll know soon enough since I don't have to do a complete teardown just yet. Also a picture of the balance wheel. Would this be called a floating balance? It doesn't appear to be a jeweled balance so would a person oil this one? Appreciate all the info. Larry G MAINSPRING BARREL SLOT ON PLATE.jpg BALANCE WHEEL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre