Animated Figures, Animatronics, and other Mechanized Craziness

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by scootermcrad, Jan 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey everyone,

There definitely seems to be a short bridge between mechanical clocks and many mechanically animated figures and noise makers. Obviously there are many horological examples that also include animated figures. Is this a place where we can talk about some closely related mechanical animation? Is there already threads on the topic? Or is there maybe another place out on the interweb somewhere that focuses on these types of topics?

Just curious. I'm always interested in all things mechanical.

Scott

PatH likes this.
  2. Noel Poirier

Noel Poirier Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We put on an exhibit a number of years ago at the NAWCC Museum called "Clockworks" where we exhibited wind up toys, automaton, etc. and it was really well received by the public. There is definitely an audience and many other museums have great collections and can partner. Here's a link to the video about the exhibit if anyone is interested:

Noel

PatH, scootermcrad and Jim DuBois like this.
  3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting that, Noel! I appreciate it!

There seems to be so many "movements" that are based around timing and functionality that follow suit with our mechanical clock movements, and probably even more so with chiming/striking clock movements. I would love to learn more about these topics.

This is a micro-sized one that always comes to mind. The singing bird music box...

PatH and Noel Poirier like this.