Angelus chrono

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Sep 12, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Angelus, Breitling, Gallet, Heuer, and Wakmann. Bunch of good names!

Wakmann and Breitling worked hand and hand for a while and even marketed watches with BOTH names on the dial!

Many early Gallet watches are extremely collectable and unusual and desirable. Expecially some of the early regulator styles.

And don't get oo hung up on the "Valjoux" designation. While Rolex used Valjoux movements clear until around 1985 in their Chronogrpahs, so did many other companies.
    Some of Valjoux's movements were rather cheap looking and lower grade. Many were TOP NOTCH!

Sadly, all of the watch companies you have mentioned (like most watch comapanies) made great watches. But they also made watches in the lower priced category as well. So you MUST make your your selection on a watch by watch basis. If it were me, I would save my money until I had enough to buy a Square button Rolex Chrono (still affordable if you find one with a redone dial). If this is not possible, you might consider a steel 1950's/
    /1960's Omega Chronograph, which IMHO are way undervalued in todays market and VERY high grade. Good luck! Jeff Hess

2. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Ron, considering your interest in "what's inside" these watches, you'd probably be interested in several of the parts/reference books that watchmakers used back then, and are still regarded as classics.

One is the Bestfit #111, which cross references manufacturers and the ebauches they used, and provides images of commonly used chronometer movements. I don't have mine handy, but believe it's dated about 1958 and covers much earlier. The other is the WMDAA manual of about 1962. Same type of content.

You can find these manuals used on ebay or other sites for $15. or so (but sometimes lots more). They're pretty interesting!

Regards,
    Mike